Building a Cornwall-compatible Center Speaker

Def Leper

JW,

What did you use for a crossover in your HereScala?

Custom network

T2A Autotransformer with low pass 2.5 inductor, 3.3uF midcap, 2uF tweet cap. This crosses the mid at about 400Hz with the K401/K55. Taps like a Heresy.

jc

If you are referring to the network....no.

The Cornscala has an ALK B in it. This is temporary as this network crosses at 600Hz. I soon will either have a Type B or B-3 with modification for a 400Hz crossing. I may also attempt to modify the Super A to go in there.

bhendrix

I edited the last post since there was some errors in what was there.

AS far as networks go and the projects I've done, the best thing to do is to get some type E or E-2 from Ebay. They are always cheap. You could also use the A, B and B-3 but you would pay a little more and offer no advantage. You just need the T2A and the 2.5 inductor and of course you can use the board and terminal. You would need to get just two high quality caps later to make it sound good. You will also have to taylor the taps according to what you are doing.

Doing this is really no big deal. I would be willing to walk anyone through it.

jc

No the mid isn't entirely the same. The Mid driver is the same but different horn. The herescala I made has the same mid driver as a Heresy/Cornwall but K401 horn. I would choose the K401 over the K700/701 anyday. As already said, if he wants a DIY project, the K600 horn would be the best match IF YOU CAN FIND ONE.

My Herescala has the same tweeter as the Heresy one and Cornwall one. My Herescala is a Heresy with a better midhorn with lower midcrossing. That is all. If you find a K600 and have little space, build a Herecorn!. A snap.

If you ask me, the K700/K55 option would be better than the academy, but not as good as with a K600 or K401. The academy has a different tweeter, midhorn and middriver as well.