Need input on systen upgrade

Kilowatter

Hello all,

I've been considering upgrading to a surround system.

My current system is a Fisher RS-646 A/V receiver, Panasonic A-120 DVD, Sony SLV-N71 HI-FI VCR, RCA Direct TV receiver, and a pair of Klipsch Tangent 5000 speakers.

Basically, what I want to do is upgrade my A/V receiver(I don't feel that the Fisher does the Klipschs justice) and add a center & surround speakers. I've been doing some research on receivers and the Onkyo TX-DS797 receiver seems to be a good buy ($700 online). Do any of you have any experience with this receiver? Is a good receiver for the money? I plan on using it for music as well as movies. Also, what Klipsch speakers would you recommend to go along with the T-5000 mains for my center and surround? I plan on spending approximately $1500 total on the upgrade. Thanks in advance.

John

Klipsch recommended matches for the T-5000 are: Tangent Theater Center Channel and the T-3000/4000 Towers or the T-1000 Bookshelf Speakers. Go to Klipsch Home Page, then select Classic and scroll down & select Tangent Theater, you'll see specifications and MSRP for Tangents. These speakers were manufactured from 1993-1994, so your best source will be through the used market. You can also place "Want Ads" on various audio sites as well.

I'm not familiar with the Onkyo TX-DS797 so I can comment on its value or performance. However, my November 2001 issue of Consumer Reports rated the Onkyo TX-DS696 as very good buy with useful features, this with a price of $800.00. Thus it would appear that the TX-DS797 at $700.00 would be an even better buy.

Other members have reported excellent results with(in no special order); Denon, H/K, Yamaha, Marantz and the value priced Outlaw 1050(6.1@$499). Perhaps other members will provide other excellent suggestions and comments as well.

I'm using the NAD T761 receiver with an Outlaw 5X Channel Amp. I'm very pleased with this setup. So your choices of speakers are more clearly defined by Klipsch, but your choices of quality receivers are abundant in deed. I would consider acquiring my matching speakers first, as these will be the more difficult and time consuming task. Then review my remaining funds, and after testing various receivers, buy the one that pleased my ears in my listening environment. With your Tangent Speakers in place, you'll know your getting the biggest bang for your receiver bucks spent. With patience and persistence, you'll end up with a great setup.

Wish you the best on your venture,

Wes

-----------------------------------------

Main System Setup

NAD T 761 Receiver (Pre-outs to Outlaw)

Outlaw 750 5 Channel Amp

Klipsch Cornwalls (Front w/Outlaw)

Klipsch Heresy's (Front w/NAD)

Klipsch Academy (Center w/NAD)

Klipsch Cornwall (V) II's (Rear w/Outlaw)

Klipsch RS-3's (Rear w/NAD)

SVS SV20-39CS SUB (NAD 2400THX Amp Bridged)

Klipsch KSW-12 (Sub)

Klipsch RF-3's (NAD T 761 "B" Channel)

Denon DVM-3700 DVD

Sony CDP-CA80ES

Sony MiniDisk Deck MDS-JE320

Mitsubishi Stereo VCR

Mitsubishi 52" Wide Screen

Sony Remote Commander RM-AV2100

Monster Cable HTS-3500 Audio/Video Power Conditioner

Bedroom HT Setup

Onkyo TX-DS484

Sony DVP-530D

Sony Dual Cassette Deck

Phillips Magnavox 27'

Klipsch Quintets (Front, Center & Surrounds)

Infinity SubWoofer (Powered by Sony STR-AV760)

Sony STR- AV760 (Sub out from Onkyo)

3rd System Setup - Listening Only

Sony Prologic Receiver STR-D1015

Sony CassetteTC-K444esII

DAK Stereo Power Controller

Technics Turntable SL-D2

Akiai GX-280D 4 Track Reel

Klipsch Walnut Quartet's

Klipsch Quintet 2 EA.

Klipsch Walnut KG2.2V Center

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 10-07-2001 at 09:40 AM