Onkyo TX-D989 or Denon AVR-5800?

SlaggBot

I posted this to the HomeTheatreForum

Yeah, you know, I went to "the Good Guys" tonght in La Jolla. They had the new Klipsch RF-7's. I made them bust em out of the box. They didnt even have them pulled out to demo. I had the guy hook em up to the Denon 5800, since they don't carry Onkyo. I had them play some Gladiator, Lost World, U751. Sounded really really nice. I could definately tell they were a little tight and bright. But hell, they were right of the box. Give those suckers a good 100 hours.... I bet they sound really good.

Honestly, I think these Klipsch's are going to serve my purpose. I will still go and demo a bunch of other speakers. I want to check out some B&W's and stuff. The really high end place in San Diego just started carrying the B&W line. This showroom has $40,000 speakers there. They have $10,000 bookshelf speakers. I am looking forward to checking out their showroom. They are actually right down the street from me.

I also was checking out a pair of Veritas speakers made by I think Energy. They sounded good. But, they were over $1700 per speaker. I dont think they sounded any better than the out of the box Klipsch. They were a little warmer, but, they have also been well broken in. They surely didnt sound $1200 better than the Klipsch. I am going to have to hear SUCH a difference in a speaker, to make me spend extra money, more than the Klipsch. I had the guy crank up Beethoven's 5th with all the Klipsch's going. He was playing a DVD-A. Sounded bitchin!!

As far as tv's go, I havent seen one single Projection TV that impresses me. I absolutely cannot stand that unless you are dead center, you dont have as good of picture. Yes, I agree they have come a long way, but it is unexceptable to me. Plus, dealing with eiter grey bars or stretched screen? No thanx. I'd rather have a 4:3 and give up some black barsI am definately sticking with Tube for now. However, one TV did impress me. The new Mistubishi. I think its the DLP, or DLT. Something like that. That TV rocks. However, you wont see my plunk down $15k for ANY tv, EVER!!

Honestly, I think I'd rather get a Projector if I had my choice. I am going to wait. Maybe I will wait until the Mitsubishi technology comes down to like $5000-$6000. Then I think it is worth it! Hell, I remeber Plasma's for $19,000. What are they now? $6000? Couple years, I will get me a big screen. Until then, when I buy my house, I'll get a Projector.

And I posted this one too

I think maybe my thinkings are mental. A Couple of things. Ever since the invention of EBAY, I have been hooked. The point of getting brand new merchandise for 50%(usually) excites the hell out of me. Keeping this in mind, I almost flat out REFUSE to pay retail for anything anymore! Only if I absolutely HAVE to. I buy all of my clothes, electronics, gadgets, ect, on Ebay.

Fact is, I DO NOT have my mind made up yet. But here is my logic. If I went into "the Good Guys", or any store that carried the Klipsch Reference 7 series speakers. And paid full retail for the mains, 2 centers, and surround. I'd pay $4,700! That is alot of money. If I buy them on Ebay, brand new, they are $3,050,not including shipping, but also no tax! Now, I run the risk of getting a bum speaker, and not having a warranty through an un-authorized dealer. This is what sucks. But, I may be able to get a warranty, if it is bought through a "reputable" <--sp? dealer, just maybe not a Klipsch authorized.

Now, I'm thinking that is a good deal! I am not saying that because Klipsch is $4700, retail, it is better or worse than any of the speakers you have all suggested.

I really wish I could demo a pair or nOhr's. I really do. I would be scared to just order them. The thing that worries me, is, I dont know if I have the "ear" to really tell the difference between a good pair of speakers, and a better pair of speakers. I'd worry that I would buy a pair of say, B&W's, or nOhr's, but not be able to tell the differnce. Then I'd almost certainly be paying retail when I didn't have to, due to the fact of my not able to tell the difference. Does that make any sense? I'm not sure it does! hehe

Here is the other thing that worries me. I don't listen to Jazz, or Classical music. I do like Stevie Ray Vaughn, but I don't have his cd's. Get my drift? Isn't the whole "Audiophile" thing supposed to spend ungodly amounts of money to reproduce as much as possible, a sound that if you closed your eyes, you'd think you were at the Symphony? Well, that is not my thing. Sure, I'd be impressed, but, unless I am jamming Metallica, or Megadeth, or some Crash Test Dummies, or some Static X, I ain't happy. So, do I spend the extra money to get "clearer" distortion guitars?!! lol When I listen to my music, 9 times out of ten the Treble is all the way up. So I think the Klipsch horns sound cool!

I really would like to see if you could put me in a room wtih a $2500 pair of speakers, a $6000 pair of speakers and a $40,000 pair of speakers and switch between them. I almost bet I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I don't think I have a "developed" ear. You all have had really nice speakers to train your ears with. A Lot of you COULD probably tell the differnce.

So, am still going to check out other speakers, but I have this mental thing of being able to get a good deal on the Klipsch's. However, since I havent been able to look for other speakers (due to not knowing about them, or not knowing that I like them) I might be able to find the same type of internet deal for B&W's or other speakers suggested. As long as I DON'T pay retail, I will be happy. As stupid as that may sound, its just my "mental" thing. If any of you know of deals on the internet for speakrs suggested, let me know too. Although, I'm sure you all are tired of this tread by now anyway.

Love live EBAY. (sorry for the long post guys, I tend to get wordy)

Try the Marantz Reference Series...the SR18EX is nice, but the SR19EX is kick *** at 1/2 the cost!! Smile.gif

I almost went with the Integra 7.1(9.1 out of cash reach), but found the Marantz, Denon, even that motorcycle....kawasakezzeeeee...sorry Yamaha, quite good.