rsw-15 connected to out?

Timmikid

Hi guys, I've roamed the forum for quite a while now, but this must be my first post in the powered subwoofer section. The case is this. I might have a chance to get a deal on a rsw-15. I am a total nitwitnewby in the sub department, so here are some very basic questions to relieve me from the most severe ignorance:

1/ can I connect the sub to the out of my pre-amp? The Mapletree has two outs, the one is ofcourse used to control my beloved MC-30's.

2/ can I finetune the frequency, where the sub needs to jump in (the point where my LS bass ceases) and how loud it must do that?

3/ Are the LS and the RSW-15 a nice pair?

4/ What are all the other knobs/connections for?

5/ Is a sub a good idea at all in my 2-channel set up? (see profile)

6/ Which important questions am I forgetting? What else do I need to know?

Thanks! [:)] Tim.

lol i might be new but heres my 2-cents anyway (well untill a more experienced member corrects me anyway!!)ill answer what i know..

1)yes you can connect it from your pre out to your subwoofers line level in jack.

2)you can change your subwoofers "cutt-off"(where it starts to drop in base power)this will be tunable from say 40hz-100hz but this is dependant on the sub. since the rsw-15 is a very good performer down deep 121@30hz! I would say you could set the dial fairly low ( say 60-70) and still get descent power.

4)there will be a phase switchable between 0-180 (to intergratewith main speakers), a volume dial (to intergrate volume with speakers) and a frequency dial as explained above. I also think the rsw-15 as high lvl inputs and outputs meaning you can plug your speaker wiring straight through the sub and then out again to your mains in order to filter the low frequencies to the sub and have your mains only playing above the set cut off limit frequency..there for making less strain for your speakers.

5) I have never had the pleasure of actually hearing the rsw-15 [:$] but i have read some reviews on it.. although audio reviews are mostly sadly full of BS... the opinions vary, many say it is a very musical sub ( which is obviosly what you are after) and some say that it is best suited to home theatre.. but again you will have to wait for someone who knows there stuff to answer that one!!!

well thats all. I hope I helped if even a little!

Hi guys, I've roamed the forum for quite a while now, but this must be my first post in the powered subwoofer section. The case is this. I might have a chance to get a deal on a rsw-15. I am a total nitwitnewby in the sub department, so here are some very basic questions to relieve me from the most severe ignorance:

1/ can I connect the sub to the out of my pre-amp? The Mapletree has two outs, the one is ofcourse used to control my beloved MC-30's. I know nothing of your esoteric electronics, but sure, any output will due. Usually we are hooking up to a HT receiver where the .1 channel LFE jack sends specially designed soundtrack to the sub.

2/ can I finetune the frequency, where the sub needs to jump in (the point where my LS bass ceases) and how loud it must do that? If you have controls in your receiver software, do it there and leave the sub control all the way open (highest frequency) to avoid 'doubleing up' of the crossovers. If you're a simple two channel rig, set the crossover point here, probably around the point where your mains poop out. try 60 for now with LS.

3/ Are the LS and the RSW-15 a nice pair? YES,

4/ What are all the other knobs/connections for? phase just reverses polarity, with you in the listening seat, have someone flip the swich or rotate dial ( some are infinitely adjustable) for the most bass. SOme subs have speaker level inputs for people with more money than brains.

5/ Is a sub a good idea at all in my 2-channel set up? (see profile) can't hurt, you'll start with it too loud and obnoxious, then eventually dial it down to probably 1/2 to 1/3 max vol so it sounds natural. Everyone does this. Everyone.

6/ Which important questions am I forgetting? What else do I need to know? room placement is critical. NOT behind you. preferably between mains. Corner loading or wall/floor placement might increas boominess. move 2" at a time. continue tweaking, continue tweaking....

Thanks! [:)] Tim.

yer buddy did a nice job of answering the questions as well. Also you might try some room treatments if you haven't already.

Michael

I don't own the LS but I do own an RSW 15. Considering I have it in a small room I have it in an area thats hard to see the back but I am pretty sure it has RCA ins and outs. I remember 4 RCA connections. The Crossover setting is next to them as well. The volume is nicely set up at the upper right side looking from the front of it which I really like. I set mine at half way and provides plenty of power. My only dissoppontment with it is when hitting frequencies below 20 Hz at high levels. They should have made it so the PR has more XMAX on it. At 20 hz the active woofer barly movies while the PR goes nuts. At lower levels (around 95 dB) its not as much of a problem. From 30 Hz and up it has no problem with not giving enough bass. Once I did get that 120 dB at 30Hz(for about 5 secs) about a foot away from it and it was clean. Blends well when placed right and sounds seemless and effortless. Sorry, sometimes I just get carried away. Hope I answered all your questions.

CD

1/ can I connect the sub to the out of my pre-amp? The Mapletree has two outs, the one is ofcourse used to control my beloved MC-30's.

Yes, after looking at the manual available online which describes the behavior of all the jacks on the back (page 2), you will notice that you can connect your sub to your preamp via the line-in. To get sound to your preamp, you can choose between running a signal from the line-out, or by implementing a splitter at the output of your preamp (both ways are electrically identical....the crossover setting has no effect on the line-out from the subwoofer).

2/ can I finetune the frequency, where the sub needs to jump in (the point where my LS bass ceases) and how loud it must do that?

Yes. All you need to do is turn the dial on the crossover knob to pick the highest frequency that your sub will reproduce. With your lascalas I would recommend somewhere between 50 and 70Hz.

3/ Are the LS and the RSW-15 a nice pair?

Well they certainly aren't a bad pair...you can find nicer, but it'll cost you more money.

4/ What are all the other knobs/connections for?

Page 2 in the manual [;)] Here's a link for ya:

http://www.klipsch.com/media/Products/RSW%20Sub%20English.pdf

5/ Is a sub a good idea at all in my 2-channel set up? (see profile)

Yes, most definetly

6/ Which important questions am I forgetting? What else do I need to know?

Just make sure your sub is in the front of your room sitting somewhere between your front mains...otherwise it becomes distracting and infinetly harder to dial in.