SWS Fact

Stevie

I've been reading several people whine about Klipsch's decision to discontinue the SWS. I assure you, this was not decided on arbitrarilly: It had nothing to do with sales, production costs, limitations, or anything of that sort.

Fact is, those who now have an SWS plugged-in are at risk.

The FCC refused to pass the unit after a thorough inspection. Thus, Klipsch, for one reason ro another, chose not to re-design the subwoofer as to pass regulations. My guess is that a redesign would mean a loss in performance.

So therefore, since the sub did not pass FCC inspection, if your SWS were ever to catch on fire you would -not- be elligible to collect insurance.

Well, the information in the initial post is from heresay.

I was speaking to someone at a bar who owns an audio store who is an authorized Klipsch dealer. He told me that the people who do repairs for Klipsch speakers informed him that the SWS had been discontinued due to FCC disapproval. Now rest assured the one I talked to does indeed sell Klipsch products, so I suppose that the repair department is in the wrong. However, as I have not been given a reason to disclaim what he said, save for "this is completely false," which is not even a reason, I tentatively believe the FCC claim. Do not misunderstand me though, it may very well be false information; the belief is up to the individual in light of the lack of evidence.

• Moderators

Well, for one, FCC regulates signals and interference, not safety. UL and CSA certification are for safety.

The SWS was absolutely not discontinued due to any certification concerns. I can't say at this time if it's FCC certified or not, I don't see why not, actually. But it's bearing on safety is completely irrelevant. The SWS had passed safety certification.

The choice to discontinue was directly related to demand and cost. I would be very interested in speaking with the authorized dealer to find out which rep allegedly gave the incorrect information.

Thanks!

• Moderators

I dug some more and received information from our official certification record-keeper:

FCC is only involved with the radio emissions that are generated or emitted from a product. For this style of product (Unintentional Radiator), you only need to perform FCC testing on products that use digital signals above 9kHz. The product is completely analog (linear power supply, linear amplifier, no digital processing), containing no digital signals, and therefore has no legal reason why it needs to be FCC tested. Therefore, the statement above is completely false.

But in fact, the SWS was FCC tested as a precautionary measure because it will be connected up to computer systems, which are notorious for high emissions. Some OEM's will not only require FCC compliance, but also require any devices connected to it to not cause their products to fail FCC. The testing we performed was done above and beyond what is required, and above and beyond what most manufacturers would do.

FCC has nothing to do with a product catching fire. In this case, they are referring to safety testing. The SWS was tested to, and complied with, UL6500 Second Edition and CAN/CSA-E60065-00. These are the main safety standards in the US and Canada for audio/video products. The product was also safety listed with Intertek, via their ETL product listings. (This is equivalent to the UL mark.) Intertek is a NRTL recognized lab, equivalent to UL and CSA in the US and Canada. ETL actually stands for Edison Testing Laboratory, which was one of the first test lab in existence in the US, started by the man himself.

Please, if you have questions, ask them. Do not make false and accusatory statements.

It's quite ironic in itself that just like most bar jokes, you only need to chage the name...... to apply the joke.

"I've been reading several people whine about Klipsch's decision to

discontinue the SWS. I assure you, this was not decided on

arbitrarilly: It had nothing to do with sales, production costs,

limitations, or anything of that sort.

Fact is, those who now have an SWS plugged-in are at risk.

The

FCC refused to pass the unit after a thorough inspection. Thus,

Klipsch, for one reason ro another, chose not to re-design the

subwoofer as to pass regulations. My guess is that a redesign would

mean a loss in performance.

So therefore, since the sub did

not pass FCC inspection, if your SWS were ever to catch on fire you

would -not- be elligible to collect insurance."

or

"I've been reading several people whine about "Bose's" decision to

discontinue the "lifestyle". I assure you, this was not decided on

arbitrarilly: It had nothing to do with sales, production costs,

limitations, or anything of that sort.

Fact is, those who now have an "Lifestyle" plugged-in are at risk.

The

FCC refused to pass the unit after a thorough inspection. Thus, "Bose", for one reason ro another, chose not to re-design the

subwoofer as to pass regulations. My guess is that a redesign would

mean a loss in performance.

So therefore, since the sub did

not pass FCC inspection, if your "Lifestyle" were ever to catch on fire you

would -not- be elligible to collect insurance."

I will get in touch with the Klipsch dealer I was speaking to earlier

and let him know about this; he told me he thoroughly researched into

the case. I will see what he has to say regarding this new information

I've just sent to him regarding the certification. I understand the

intial post was overly aggressive, oops.

@ Jay, I am sorry but I don't understand the point you are trying to make.