SUB WOOFER SETTINGS

ken kaz

sorry guys, i got little help on this one in the sub section.

I have a large room that my HT is in. (like 30X16 with a couple of conne cted rooms and a stairwell)

to futher complicate things im in a basement with a concrete floor.

i have chorus 11, academy , heresy II (side), quartet (back). i have a SVS pb12 ultra/2 sub that i just got.

in order to really feel the bass I am at +8 dB for DTS and about +11 dB for dolby recordings.

is this normal?

thanks

kaz

I would consider that a bit hot for my sub, but I do not use an SVS... Does this SVS have a volume adjustment on the sub itself? If so, where is it set at?

How much experimentation have you done with placing your sub? Have you done the "subwoofer crawl" (you know, get on your hands and knees while playing a good bass track and listen for the loudest spot - that gives you a good idea of where your sub should be placed)?

A poorly placed sub may require compensation in the form of extra power.

in order to really feel the bass I am at +8 dB for DTS and about +11 dB for dolby recordings.

is this normal?

What do you mean exactly by "I am at +8 dB for DTS and about +11 dB for dolby recordings"?????

Do you mean that you have to calibrate your sub to be +8 or +11dB hot, respectively, for DTS or DD recordings to "sound" correct to you? [*-)]

Or are you talking about the individual subwoofer trim level setting in your receiver/pre/pro?

i have two settings, one for DTS one for Dolby. Rotel preamps have that feature. Kind of cool.

So, I still ask ...........................

"Do you mean that you have to calibrate your sub to be +8 or +11dB hot, respectively, for DTS or DD recordings to "sound" correct to you?

Or are you talking about the individual subwoofer trim level setting in your receiver/pre/pro?"

[*-)]

If you're talking about the individual subwoofer trim level settings in your preamp, they're just relative numbers. If you want to lower them (and you probably should, if you run them at +8 and +11) then turn up the sub with it's own master volume control knob.

Do you calibrate your system or not?

You may want to invest in a sound level meter (relatively cheap at Radio Shack). You can use that to establish the loudest point and then use it to dial in the sub properly with the rest of you system.

Most people are very suprised to learn just how bass-heavy their taste is (relative to the "correct" sound levels to be balanced with your other speakers).

On a side note, the rat shack meters tend to be a bit inaccurate - so do some research on the proper compensations at the various frequency levels. This does not really come into play when you are looking for the loud spot for your sub; however, it may matter when you match your sub to your other speakers...

the system is definatley calibrated with a radio shack spl meter.

when i do this the bass response at the calibrated level just plain stinks.

so, i listen and boost it till i think it is good. which is, honestly, where i can "feel" the bass.

then i go back with the spl meter and see where i have it.

the answer is +8db for DTS (LOTR, EAGLES, Steely dan Gaucho)

and about +11dB for Dolby (LOTR, Revenge of the Sith)

i spent a bit of time reading on this. the concrete walls, concrete floor and the sub being 13 feet away are killin me.

i need to move the sub to a different spot, closer to the couch.

honestly, at +8 the bass is better upstairs.

i think i need an addition to the house for my HT!

anyone else out there in a similar situation?

Hi I have the same sub. Using the spl meter is there anything rattling around you. When I set mine up the meter would pick up the noise from things rattling and once I got everything tied down then the db for the sub read much lower. Also do you have it corner loaded? The guys at SVS will gladly help you out.

Ken, this is what you do - you will look weird to those in your home when you do this, but do it anyway[:)]

Place the sub where you sit in your HT room - right where your feet sit when you sit and enjoy the HT. Set the system and sub controls "flat", then play familiar material. Get on your hands and knees, and begin crawling around the room while the music plays. Stay at several different spots for a little while and listen. The spot that gives the best bass response and quality of bass sound should be the best spot for your sub.

You get on your hands/knees because that more closely approximates a potential sub location. It sounds goofy, but it works.

Also:

It does sound like something else might be amiss though - normally a sub like that shakes the walls and everyone goes WOW[:D] I would check the phase knob. Rotate that until you get the maximum bass response in the room. Also check the crossover settings - if you are using the crossover in the receiver, the crossover in the sub should be bypassed.