So, let's talk about DACs.

tofu

i have absolutely zero experience in this matter as to what brands are good, which are bad, and which are mediocre.

i'll probably be looking for something used in the near future for under $500.

i don't want to experiment with DACs that seem good on paper, but no one has ever tried before. i'd like to go with something proven good.

i'll only need two channels. it will need to have toslink input so i can use the digital out of my old av-710 (no sense in using the audiophile192 for digital out, that will be overkill).

lastly, i will be mating said DAC with my la scalas, so i'm going to assume something sterile or overly bright won't sound too good.

i'm purchasing this before a preamp because i feel for the price i'm paying, more improvement will be had through an external DAC than a pre. besides the fact that i don't exactly need a pre for my setup.

thank you.

I forgot to mention......

Here is a DAC coming out soon:

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?t=22989

$599 new.

And it has some eventual 'upgrade' paths built in (like the optional power supply).

It would be a different animal than the Benchmark (which I like), but the previous version of this seemed to be well thought of on audio forums.

Mark

I think Scott Nixon makes a budget tube DAC that is well regarded. I would check AA for details. In my (admittedly limited) experience, there are not a whole heck of a lot of options at this price point. What will you use for the transport and what are you currently using for a cd player? At this price range you may be better off with one of the solid one-box units (Cambridge comes to mind).

this isn't for a cd player. it is for my pc.

what price point should i be looking at for this to be a worthwhile upgrade in that case?

edit: i want to emphasize once again that i'm looking for a **USED** DAC, not brand new. i wouldn't expect anything spectacular at this price range if i was shopping new.

Tofu,

Two things to consider about the Benchmark DAC1--

When you mention in your first post not wanting "sterile" and "overly bright".... I would not call the DAC1 either, but I doubt it is anybody's idea of 'warm'. Mastering engineers love it, lots of audio 'consumers' love it, but where audiophile reviews have taken exception (6moons, etc) they tend to criticize this aspect.

Second, it has had a few revisions (see the downloadable manual). If you are buying second hand and care about those added/changed items--(attenuation jumpers on the XLR outs, 192 capable Toslink, lowered impedance on unbalanced outs)--you might check--

Mark

that vda-2 looks interesting. i've heard good things about the vda-1 on headfi.

i know i shouldn't shop with the idea that price = performance in mind, but i can't help but think i can achieve better performance from a $600 used DAC (since that's what the vda-2 will be going for)

purchasing a used vda-2 obviously isn't an option since it won't even be out for another month.

well, i've been doing more dac 1 research. some claim it seems a bit thin on the low end, but most agree it is a superb dac. the jitter correction is also nice, so me using optical input shouldn't be an issue.

im really leaning toward it this benchmark, especially if i can come across more used ones in the $600-700 range (the one on a-gon will probably be sold by the time i make my final decision)

anyone have anything else they'd like to share on this topic?

Why do I pursue DACs?

Well, there is just a little bit of computer and electical knowledge in

my life to make me dangerous with a light bulb. Sometimes in the

past 6 years, I get too deep into this sources of digital jitter stuff

effecting music quality.

There is just so much going (multiple functions) on in a one box CD or

DVD player from power supply interaction and EMI standpoint. The

further apart you can get the functions the better. For example,

display screens on a CD player or DVD player can radiate EMI into the

player if poorly implemented. I for one would not have a digital

"subsystem" in my vinyl playback hardware.

I use the live sound of a snare drum, cymbals and high hat that I have

in the home as a reference in sort of the pursuit of reducing edgy and

fatigueing high end. I use guitar as well but it is rare in

recent years I hear nearfeild accoustic guitar. Most mid-level

3-6 year old DACs you can get for 200-400 USD as an experiment. For

much less than buying a proven upgrade in digital from a mass

market player, like the Jolida used for maybe 700 USD; a used DAC from

a proven manufacturer like MSB or Perpetual Technologies or

for another step up in price point from Benchmark or

Meridian; you can achieve a serious impreovment in music

realism and much less digital fatigue.

In addition if you would like to lift the lid for some homebrew EMI abatement mods kits can be secured from www.virmode.com.

Kits include materils and basic instructions for:

Damping( circuit board, case and transport)

Shielding (power supply and DACs)

Static dissapation

Unless you have 1,000 - 2,000 USD to invest in a really cool new one

box player like an Arcam, Simaudio, Naim or the like; a DAC can

give you another reasonalbe cost upgrade path to assess.