with his surround sound. Its a newer basic jvc home theater in

the box system, nothing fancy. The record player wouldn't work,

and I was told by some of my fellow hometheater guys at best buy that

it was because with newer receivers the record player much have a

preamp. So anyway he buys the sony record player at best buy its

the 113 dollar one, which says it has a preamp. He doesn't know how to

hook it to the receiver, so I told him for now just to plug it into the

front of the tv in the red and white audio jacks and see if it will

play through the tv speakers when switch to input 4. Still not working.

Does anyone have any suggestions. If I need more details let me know.

The record player needs a phono/EQ stage (sometimes called a phono preamp) before going into the regular preamp stage of an amplifier.. Old gear often had this built in, especially the old receviers and integrated amps. The signal of a record player is too low to go straight into a regular preamp or integrated amp (preamp + power amp combination) unless the phono/EQ is built in as part of the gear.

Record Player ---> Phono/EQ (Phono Preamp) --->Preamp--->Power Amp (Preamp and Power Amp may be in same chassis)

When the record is cut the lows are reduced and the highs are increased so as to make the wiggles in the vinyl more closely the same size across the frequency range. Otherwise the bass wiggles would be so huge that the LP could only get relatively few minutes of music recorded, and the high frequency wiggles would be so small that the signal to noise ratio would be mostly noise. So, what the phone/EQ does is reverse the way the signal was altered when the record was cut. The phono/EQ increases the bass back up to level and pulls the highs down to level so the signal is regular again and ready to be further amplified.

You can get a phono/EQ on the web. You need the moving coil type.

http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl;jsessionid=ac112b1c1f434426f2ac655f42f69a5a9b66b53c370f.qQvJq2PEmlnva30S-BbQmkLz-ATzr6Lzn6rzqwTxpQOUc30KaNDNo6XKq6zInRmLa3mT8RbCpR0HoA5Qmh0Kc2TNo6XK-kDvrA4Ka3uIqRnvp6iIpAjOp6jynQjM-AbJpgaMah0MaxmOaheN8Oexo6XHngbynknvrkLOlQzNp65In0__?sc=2&category=401

If the Sony TT has a preamp as Best Buy indicates, then it should be able to connect to any standard line level input such as the red and white input jacks on the front of the TV. I'm betting the TT is OK and the problem is getting that input selected via the TV's input selector.

It would switch on the turntables preamp. They make it so it is configurable for either setup, and I suspect yours is in the wrong position witch makes sense because if someone were to hook that thing up to a phonostage with the internal phonostage on it would be quite loud.

did you find the switch?

He got it working finally by moving it to another input. Anyway to answer your question, I haven't even been at his house to try to get it to work as I live awhile away. I've been trying to help him over the phone. Yes he read the manual that's how he knew about the switch. It just wasn't working in the input on the tv he had it in.

To put it simply the problem was trying to hook it up to the tv. I told him to try that first cause the receiver is hard to get to, and that I would hook it up through the receiver next time I visited. He managed to get it into a aux port on the back of the receiver and its working fine, it just wouldn't work by itself hooked to the tv. Thanks for everyones help.