Question about impedance while biamping

Deang

If the speaker is rated at 8 ohms as a whole - what happens to the impedance of the drivers if I biamp?

I am thinking about driving the woofers on my RC7 using my SS 200 watt Luxman - but running the horns with my new 40 watt Anthem. I would just use the already in place connectors faciliting the biwiring option. Know what I mean?

But I'm wondering about the impedance. Since I'll be using two seperate amps - does that mean the impedance will go to 16 ohms and so cut my power in half?

------------------

deanG

No.

You'd need to find a graph showing how the impedence varies with frequency to get a rough idea of what the separate impedences of the low pass and high pass sections of the speakers will present when they're separated for bi-amping.

If the impedence were fairly uniform (and I have no idea if it is), then the individual low and high sections would present about the same overall impedence to each amp when bi-amped that they together present to a single amp when tied together. If the impedence varies significantly with frequency, it's quite possible that one amp might see significantly more than 8 ohms, and the other significantly less. I'd call Klipsch tech support and ask them what the average impedences are of each half of the crossover.

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray is right here,and also the Anthem should have no trouble with the upper range,In the highs the curve does not dip down,it stats up.The woofer section can go below 8 ohms,the Luxman should have no problems with even 4 ohms(I doubt the Klipsch goes so low).

Tell us how it goes,tubes for the highs and SS for lows,this should be interesting.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Deang---Your active crossover won't care what the driver impedances are, it will still crossover wherever you set it. If the drivers are nominal 8 ohm impedance they'll remain such and they probably are. Even if the horn was 16 ohms your tube amp will have plenty of power, I get Hellacious volume from my compression drivers with 12 watts a channel.