Need Help/Advice to Download/Share iPod Music,..

126mhz

Hello All;

My issue(s) are two fold. One, I'm cheap. And two I don't want to pick up some "Bug" in my computer. (A third might also be I'm only slightly computer literate.)

I have two MP3 players, one is an iPod and the other is a generic brand that I wnt to use to listen when I'm on long lonely roads on my bicycle. As I said I'm cheap, only slightly computer literate, and I don't want to pick up some bug in my computer. (spyware included)

If another person I know has downloaded songs on an MP 3 player isn't there some way I can just load individual songs,....or the whole darn thing onto my MP3/iPod?

Can I put a music CD into my computer and download a song on to my computer and then transfer it to my iPod/MP3 player? (I told you I was only slightly computer literate!)

Is ther any place I can go to pay to have a really good mix of specific music loaded on one of my MP3 format players?

Thanks everyone, please keep the snide comments about my lack of computer/MP3 knowledge to yourself!

Regards,

for the ipod you can set in itunes (the program to upload songs into

the ipod mainly the only option to do so) goto

edit>preferences>iPod>manual playlist. so you can just add

songs from a computer or friend and not the delete the old list

and download all his music. Also be sure to disconnect the ipod

manually everytime if you so choose to do that way. There is a green

arrow thingy on the bottom right hand sides every time you hook up a

ipod or usb device like a digital camera.

The main purpose of mp3 players were to ligitamitely download music

into the player using a computer. I know its sorta tough to understand

how a cd is put into a mp3 player. But basically you put the cd into

the computer, by using itunes or other programs, it would "rip" or

basically take that cd and place it into the computer harddrive. but

since cd files (.wav) are so large the programs compress them. You are

the deciding factorer. Usually it is 1/10 the size of a wave file. MP3

were the first type compression. Now there is aac which is better,

apple lossless, etc etc I am an old fart to mp3 so I choose 192

bitrate. I find it suitable for storage size/sound. Then you upload it

to the ipod like prior

"Is ther any place I can go to pay to have a really good mix of specific music loaded on one of my MP3 format players?"

I'm not sure what you mean, there are places in the NYC area that

actually take all your music cds and rip them and sorts. Also Itunes

sells a vast amount of songs for 99 cents a song. Napsters and such are

a ripp off and do not work with ipods, they require you to pay a

monthly fee, but you have unlimited download capability but the thing

is once you stop paying your songs are gone. Also they are filed as

different file types that the ipod was not designed for hence it will

not work.

If your looking for the free downling places..... ask you son or so fourth ....

And the bug you keep saying? do you mean sony's little secret that got out?

You can do any of the things you are asking about, but there are some issues.

The biggest problem you will run into with different players is that they may use different formats. Most any player can play MP3s, but then the iPod throws AAC into the mix, and a whole bunch of others use WMA. As long as you have two players that use the same format, you should have no problem sharing the same music between the two.

As far as sharing with someone else, it would probably be easier to take your player to their house, and load the songs directly, than to try and pull the songs off of their player. With some players it is easy to pull songs off, some not (iPod, for example is difficult, but not impossible). This would involve pulling the songs from their player onto your computer, then installing onto your player.

If you wanted to trade with someone, easily and safely, without the risk of getting caught, a DVD-R holds 4.7GB of data....

to take off the ipod all you need to do is in windows, goto the my computer click on the ipod, enable to "view hidden files" and there in the ipod is all the songs" of course I use it to upload the music back to my computer.

...then you have to rename all the files, which isn't very practical. If you've found a way around that, I'd be interested to hear about it. I have been able to take songs that I purchased from iTunes, and place them in the iTunes folder, and they automatically went into folders with the Artist/Album, but that didn't work for the CDs that I ripped myself.

This would be great if it were true, but I haven't had any luck. I go to iPod Control >> Music >> and there are files named F00 - F49. Inside these folders are the MP3 files, but they are named thing like AICT, AQEK, etc. The Artist and Album title are there, but the song titles are the Four-Letter names. Now, if I take one of these files and play it, the song title appears in the Media Player, but the file remaines named its Four-Letter name. I don't find any A-Z subfolders in any of the folders, unless I accidently skipped the one where they were. So, if I had to, I could recover all of my music from the iPod, but it would take a LOOOOONG time. I found some software that automates the process, but I haven't had any need to use it, plus I have the majority of my music backed up on DVD-Rs.

that is true, I am sorry, I will admit I was wrong. The folders are F00

- F49. And the songs are there but I never had recover from my ipod and

never realized the name was changed or shortened etc. But the songs due

work, and worse case scenario you can recover your music.

oh and are all your music the crazy 4 letter wording? Some of my songs are just fine, others just shortened