20 Hours with Klapperhorns resting on top of my Lascala's

NOSValves

Basically what Dean said.

The premise of the Tractrix expansion is that it assumes a spherical wavefront and the exponential assumes a plane-wave or flat wavefront moving through the horn.

The tractrix approach is more correct, however, it cannot be used below a certain frequency, leaving the exponential expansion as the preferred type for bass horn use, for low distortion and maximum efficiency down to Fc at long wavelengths.

I would guess that hyperbolic expansions are next in line in bass horn use, being that the LS (mouth) and the Jensen "Imperial" (aka Laboratory Standard) use that too.

DM

Al or others....

What I've been wondering is if the Klappenhorn could be used satisfactorily in a two way setup.

Are there HF drivers, like the B&C so often mentioned as a Jubilee HF driver, which would work here.

I believe that in this application, the HF would only need to be crossed over at 600 to 800 cycles.

The Klipschorn would not be capable of that high (600 or higher) crossover point, although the CW, LS or Belle could, of course.

There is no reason why the tracthorn could not be used as a 2 way, except IMO better 2" throat drivers are available and the tracthorn is too small for that.

DM

Guys,

The Khorn won't go 2-way simply becasue it would require a high frequency driver that would go 400 Hz and up! That's a big order!

The Trachorn WILL run 2-way in the Belle with no trouble. I just changed out my squawker/tweeter networks in my setup and ran 2-way for a couple weeks while the parts were on order for the new crossover. I did have to EQ those droopy JBL 2426h drivers I was using, but it suprised me how well they sounded running 2-way.

Al K.

Guys,

The Khorn won't go 2-way simply becasue it would require a high frequency driver that would go 400 Hz and up! That's a big order!

The Trachorn WILL run 2-way in the Belle with no trouble. I just changed out my squawker/tweeter networks in my setup and ran 2-way for a couple weeks while the parts were on order for the new crossover. I did have to EQ those droopy JBL 2426h drivers I was using, but it suprised me how well they sounded running 2-way.

Al K.

Al, Thanks. Yeh, I do know that the Khorn bass bin wouldn't work in such an application.

In running your Belle's as two way with the trachorn, what were you using for the crossover point?

Also, in what you describe as the need to EQ the 2426 drivers, you are saying they need some boost in thte higher frequencies? About what can you expect out of their top end? 17khz? Better?

True. I'm just commenting that if Craig likes the way it sound unbaffled, it might change if and when he baffles it. The diffraction and dispersion characteristics will definitely change. So will the polar response.

Something to think about.

Here is an interesting article on horn boundary and edge diffraction:

http://www.frazierspeakers.com/download/bounds.pdf

P.S. shoudn't that be Klappenhorns rather than Klapperhorns?!

Get yer names straight! Sounds too much like Krapperhorns!

DM

DM,

Like Dean said the Klapperhorn does not require a baffle and is designed to be mounted out flush with the motorboard. Nothing will change when the final installation is done as far a baffle effect. Yes I will be installing grill cloth and I agree that it makes a difference so I'm sure once installed I will be again be playing with taps. Also the sound will change slightly when the horn is mounted down where is belongs with the tweeter above it rather then below as it is now. All in good time.

Craig