Help with RF-3 sound

JLL

Could somebody please help me with my RF-3 sound. These speakers to me sound very small and skinny. I didint always think this but after listening to my friends cheap sony's bookshelf speakers i felt differently about them. I have a Yamaha receiver Rxv-800 receiver which has no eq. controls in the setup except center channel. I do have a small room and it is carpeted. I have them placed close to corners about foot in front of the back wall and maybe foot and a half to side walls and toed in. I brought RF-3's out in my parents other bigger rooms and they sounded even worse, they do not sound big at all absolutley no impact. And they always sound better at night I read a post earlier about the AC if so that is just ridiculous speakers should sound good whenever, especially these speakers. The way my RF-3's sound do not correlate to the way most people like the way they sound so can someone please give me some pointers.Textc>

Check to see if they are wired out of phase. This would explain the sound you're describing. The red marked lead on the amp must go to the red marked connector on the speaker. If one is reversed so that red goes to black, the woofers in the two speakers will fight each other and cancel the bass. Other than that, I cannot think of any reason you'd get the sound you describe.

Hey Bob, well my speakers are indeed all in phase they are biwired using audioquest slate. I am just confused about the sound,i feel they should sound much better compared to my friends sony's speakers. I am in a small room and the sound is bigger than when I placed them into a larger room, is this normal? or should they sound smaller with less impact in a larger room. Anyways how should I place the speakers distance wise from the side and back wall to get that bigger sound I am looking for?

Acouple of things...One, try setting them about 6" to 8" from the wall. That seems to work best for me, anyway. 2. you said that the unit doesnt have any kind of eq set up. I went to Yamaha's web site and read a bit about the reciever, and according to it, there is an eq setup, but you may have to use its on screen menu to see it, in other words use a cable to do it on your TV. Make sure they are set to large and that it knows your not using a sub, if your not. I had a Yamaha rxv 795 a while back and my rf 3's sounded very good with that receiver! Something tells me it is in the receiver setup and not an actual speaker prob.

Hey whats up sickpuppy. I have a cheap 13" goldstar with only one video input. I will try this setup; Going from my TV to receiver instead of receiver to Dvd player to try and get into this setup with the receiver you are talking about; I have never tried the onscreen setup before. I do have my mains set to large thru the little receivers window setup but this does not have equilizer settings for mains thru this type of setup. Also sickpup on my DVD setup I have Bitstream selected and when I play my normal cd's my receiver recognizes and stays to a PCM setting is this correct?

joe

JLL-

RF-3s always sounded a little thin to me, but I found that the problem got worse when the Stereo store I frequent moved the speakers to a different room and started using cheaper wire. Experimenting with placement can yeild some profound effects, but if that fails, try better wire too.

------------------

Denon AVR-2700

Denon DCD1500-II

Audio Control Octave

Phillips CDR-765

Nakamichi BX-100

Sony PS-LX3

Rotel RB-991

Klipsch Heresy (1981)

Klipsch RP-3

B&W602

MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire

Computer system:

NAD 7130

Realistic Optimus Pro-7s (its only a computer system)

Klipsch KSW-10

i can't help but think that if the rf-3 sound thin could be due to the use of a thin amp, i.e., not a good

amount of power/current.

currently i have my rf-3 hooked to both a sony de935 receiver & a vintage '75 kenwood 160WX2. the ken

delivers much more power & the rf-3 hence sound much more full & rich than w/ the thinner sounding sony. i don't even have/need a sub for stereo listin in my smaller lounge.

jmo. but if you've exhausted all the room placement & other tweeks, u may want to consider a bigger power producing receiver or add a nice 2 channel power amp to the yammy (as long as it has front preouts). u might see if somebody or a dealer will let u try another amp/receiver w/ the rf in your home.

also, have mine biwired which i think really improved their sound (u can get a couple premade biwire cables for under $100.

the rf will deliver if u feed 'em right Smile.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front)

Klipsch KLF C7 (center)

Klipsch Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Acurus A200X5 power amp

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Monster HTS2500 & HT200 powercenters

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Technics dual cassette deck

Monster HTS1000 powercenter

rock on!

This message has been edited by boa12 on 10-12-2001 at 04:51 AM

Well sickpupp I tried what you said and still the receiver has no equilizer for main speakers just the center. The onscreen display is the same as the little receiver's window display except it is easier to navigate on your tv screen. Hey Boa I am using audioquest slate biwire for my center and mains. Anybody know the sonic differences betwees RF-3 and Paradigm monitor 7's i choose the RF-3 over paradigm. Does anybody have experiences comparing these two speakers at home and which do you prefer? ALso Boa I like Klf-20's you have 30's I like that big full sound with the midrange horn, since they are discontinued do you know any other speakers klipsch or not that are of this same style of speaker like the legend series.