help me choose a tube preamp.

snilsen13

I'm really giving serious thought a tube preamp n acount of how much I'm enjoying my h/k 630. I'm listening to Cornwalls. The more I think about it, the better I feel about the decision if I would just plink down the dough for something I won't ever be inclined to upgrade. My requirements limit my choices:

MM phono (but I would like to control MC too)

at least 3 aux inputs

balance control

I'm solidly in the used market, nothing more than 20 years old.

Based on what's currently on audiogon:

Audible Illusions Modulous 3a... $1100

Audio Research Corop. SP8... $1200

Counterpoint SA-3000... $800

Magus MFA-A with tweaks .... $750

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1138658912

Conrad Johnson PV-5 ... $550

these are all suggested on (actually this model of counterpoint isn't, but I am under the impression that this model wan't around when the list was compiled)

http://www.high-endaudio.com/index_ac.html

but this list doesn't seem to include all of the new imports and such. What competes wih these? Other preamp threads I've read here don't include any of these.

Lastly, budget minded as I am, If I buy Conrad-Johnson, what am I missing?

-Steven

I have Klipsch Fortes and am using a preamp from Eastern Electric called the MinMax togetehr with a Consonace Ella power amp. It is a highly acclaimed pre and a great value for dollaer pre amp IMHO. Some professional reviewers have claimed it bested their high-end multi-thousand dollar units.

A tube rollers dream and best of all, I think you can pick them up for around $800. You'd have to go out and get a phono pre though but even if you spend $400 on a dedicated Phono stage, you're into great, new gear for the price of some of those older units (which may be very good, mind you).

No balance control on the MM. You'd have to mess with speaker placement to adjust imaging if your room is a problem.

Check it out www.eeaudio.com

No affiliation at all, just a satisfied customer.

Best of luck. It's a jungle out there!

If you want something with phono and that many inputs and you won't have to upgrade (or send it in for repair), think about a new juicymusic. I have the blueberry extreme and am very happy. I believe they are well represented by forum members who seem happy with their choice.

My second choice would be a bottlehead foreplay, but you would need a separate phono stage.

Juicy Music Blackberry.

But I have a 3 month old Audible Illusions Modulus 3A that I bought new from Upscale 3/12/04 and replaced with a Peach 6/04. I had to see what the fuss was about about the Peach. I won't be getting a TT anytime soon.

$1,100 shipped to your door.

danny

I like the idea of owning a Blackberry, but it's too much $$$. Maybe somebody has a demo?

No doubt it would fit my requirements really nicely. I suspect it's on the same level as some of the pre-amps I listed, and it would be nice to know if anybody has compared the phono stage to these.

I read somewhere that the Blackberry competes with the $3k Southerland PhD phono stage, on AA I think.

Now I read that somebody else here prefers the Peach to the Modulus for the line stage... shoot I should spend a little extra..... grrrr.

Okay. The Modulus is out of the running, but I still wonder if the ARC SP8 (save $400, ie. 40 LPs) isn't a better buy than a Blueberry. I could pretty easily find 40 more LPs to resell if it's really worth it.

Anybody have any idea what the Juicy Music gear may be worth in resale? Are these going to be those rare components that keep their value?

-Steven

Steven,

The Magus MFA is mine. It has an excellant phono stage and I should rate it a 9 of ten. I didn't b/c I bought it from the original owner 6 months ago (hence it is not an original owner piece).

I have already had an offer of $700 and I was told by another Audiogon member that I have underpriced it in light of the condition and mods.

This unit has two secondary volume controls and a master control. The circuit board is also really nicely laid out and really easy to work on (teh Power unti is in a separate box to eliminate any hum). This thing is dead quiet and a really nice piece.

If you are going TT, I woudl highly reccomend the Magus. If you don't like it, you can easily get your money back out of it (hard to do with other preamps).

Chris.