Which subwoofer should I use

vanjewels

I can't think of a single sub in the 2-400 dollar range that will do 4800 cu. ft. justice. You need to up the budget or find a good used deal if you want "loud" in a room that size. You can also maximize your dollars by going the DIY route. A lesser sub will be overdriven keeping up with your mains.

I ditto what the above poster said. Nothing in that price range will suffice.

I built a DIY atlas 15 with a 500watt amp in a 24in cube tuned to 20hz for $500 or so after shipping. It'll hit 115 dB in large rooms at listening position. Actually, I just watched WOTW, filled up the room really well. We had to move some stuff off shelfs as we were knocking it off. Im actually considering selling it. My friend might buy it but if he doesnt, I'd sell it to you if you interested. I just need something physically smaller. its just too big. scp53

How big is your room? How loud do you listen? How much do you want to spend? What percentage of use will be HT versus music?

Room is about 30x20--I like my music loud--money 200-400--70%music to 30% HT

I agree with the other posts that you won't find anything for $400. You might want to keep your eyes on www.ubid.com. I have noticed some deals there that seem to be a little better than eBay. Otherwise, check out the Dayton subs at www.partsexpress.com. They tend to be fairly high-value at the lower end of the market.

"Room is about 30x20--I like my music loud--money 200-400--70%music to 30% HT"

So what sub would you recommend if he didn't state a low budget

what if the budget was say 4-800 ?

8-1200?

just wondering.

In the $800.00 range for mostly music:

SVS 25-31 PC+

HSU VTF-3 MK 2

Dayton Titanic 15" MK III

(in no particular order)

8-1200?

just wondering.

SVS 25-31 PC+

HSU VTF-3 MK 2

(in no particular order)

These subs are still weaklings in a huge room,and 20*30 is a huge room. A single 12" woofer no matter how potent is a joke in a 20*30 room.Unless one has little demands.

At the very least a SVS PB2-Plus(bare minimum),I would go dual Klipsch THX subs/amp.And if one is really serious,dual PB2-Ultra subs placed side by side.A $400 sub in a 20-30 room is like using a handheld trimmer to mow a square mile of grass.

I have many times the sub capability in rooms way smaller,maybe its just me. [:$]

not intending to hijack this thread but i found his situation (room size) very similar to mine.

the room is exactly 21.5Lx27Wx11.5H (i just measured). it is open to a kitchen on one side and a hall way on the other side (no doors) which is not in the previous measurements. Half the room is hardwood and half is carpet. the actual sitting area with components is carpet and measures 21.5x15. i listen to alot of music and watch many movies so I'd say 50/50. I like a feel it in your chest slam from a kick drum as well as deep explosions. but don't need to crack the windows

I think anything bigger will be an improvement over what i have currently. in case your interested its a Denon 8" that came with a home theater in a box. It worked fine for movies when i had the dinky cube speakers but is not near adequate paired with the F-3,S-3 and C-3. and is severely lacking for music. it's just not good enough anymore. i have the fever.

I've not went shopping yet but have been reading through the sub woofer forum a lot lately in anticipation of acquiring something better.

i seem to collect lots of best buy gift cards (thats what bought the F-3's and helped buy the others)

if the trend continues it may fund a new sub soon.

Looks like the best they have on their site is the klipsch sub-12. Any opinions on this sub?

If i have absolutely got to , i will save the cards and fund a better sub by some other means.

i would guess my budget could squeeze a grand, maybe more. I'm pretty good about saving if it's something i really want.

what do you all suggest?

That's 6675 cu. ft.!! Major woofage is required to pressurize that room. Dual PB12+2's would be a good starting point. However.................................they won't fit your budget. Of course virtually anything will be better than the Denon 8" that you have. I'd stick with my prev. recc. of the PB12ISD+2. Other than a DIY project, it's one of the best bang for the buck subs out there as far as SPL per dollar.

i spent some time yesturday on the SVS web site. very informative, nice product. almost makes me want to spend more on better sub. i like the fact that you can send them your room dimensions and a diagram of the room and they will suggest a sub as well as placement.

am considering dual subs as suggested by theear. but i am a novice and dont want to get in over my head with setup and calibration. also not to sure SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) will allow dual subs. however the cylinder subs by SVS look interesting and may be ok with her.

would you choose a single PB12-plus/2 over a single PB12-ISD/2 for my situation as stated in previous post?

gonna check out some other recomendations later today.

8-1200?

just wondering.

SVS 25-31 PC+

HSU VTF-3 MK 2

(in no particular order)

I would go dual Klipsch THX subs/amp. [:$]

That's $3,900 - kind of blows the $800 budget wide open.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Klipsch Sub-12!

It is a most potent subwoofer for only $505. In fact, I know of no DIY

application that can touch it for the price. When put in the corner it

will do 117dB with an F3 of 24Hz! (that's even better than the Dayton).

And if you're sitting 4 meters away from the sub, then you're looking

at 111dB at the listening position which is plenty loud.

I would especially recommend this sub to strutter who has the rest of

the synergy setup. The sub-12 was voiced to match your mains and I

think you would have most pleasant results, for both movies and HT.

I should also add that it is a very musical subwoofer too. No boominess, just flat solid bass response.

Looks like the best they have on their site is the klipsch sub-12. Any opinions on this sub?

thanks drwho

I did question about the sub-12 with no response concerning that particular part of my post.

from previous posts you know that i do enjoy my music loud and hard, but also want to feel movies.

at 509.99 for the sub-12 at BB i would definitely consider the thought of 2 subs.

i could purchase one now and if i felt like i needed more add another later. however 1 sub would be much easier to place and calibrate.

what i do know is that on other forum sites SVS is talked about a lot and come highly recommended.

klipsch subs hardly ever come up in discussion. And when they do, rarely receives a favorable response (that I've seen). don't know if this means they are bad subs or if simply for the price better can be had.

does anyone have any opinions comparing 2 sub-12 to a single PB12-plus/2 ?

or any other about the sub-12?

I'm pretty sure two sub-12's would outperform the SVS...especially with

music (as you can put a sub in each front corner for a balanced image).

They both have the same F3 points and I bet the sub-12 will probably go

louder (svs doesn't provide max spl specs). Two of them though will

definetly be louder.

The reason klipsch subs aren't mentioned often is because they are

relatively more expensive than the direct competition. Klipsch subs are

definetly high quality, but they come at a cost. The new sub-12 is

klipsch's answer for most bang for the buck and I really feel they

finally achieved it.