Heresy vs Heresy II

Danartdis

I have had Heresys for 20 years and I love them. What is the consensus out there regarding comparison of Heresys vs. Heresy II? All I know is that the horns are front mounted on the II's and you dont want to mix Heresys with II's in an HT system. It seems like there are more II's for sale on eBay. Any comments?

Heresy IIs are not a good timbre match for your Heresys. The tweeters and squawkers are different and sound different. You may or may not find them acceptable as rear channels. You will definitely notice the difference if you mix Heresys and Heresy IIs in the front.

BTW the last few years of Heresys (84 and up) are not a good timbre match for earlier Heresys either. They have a different squawker, K-53-K instead of K-55-V.

Danartdis,

I must disagree a little with Malcom on this one. I have owned Heresy's and Heresy II's, I even had the Heresy's in the rear and the H II's for the front. There was not very much difference in the tonal qualities of the two. I even tested the orininal on the left channel and the II on the right and could not tell a significant difference between the two. Maybe I don't have the audiophile ears that I used to, but I would say most people would be hard pressed to find a significant difference between the two. Just my two cents.

I don't think its a question of audiophile ears, just differences in ears and/or tastes between people. I don't know if most people could not tell the difference. You may be right. There are certainly some, as you atest.

The Heresy and Heresy II both have (different) horns for the squawker and tweeter. They certainly sound more alike than something with a cone squawker and a dome tweeter. They both have that Heritage sound.

I would suggest that anyone considering mixing Heresys and Heresy IIs audition them before buying. If you like the results, go for it! If you cannot audition them first, I think buying speakers that match what you already have is safer. Otherwise you might have to turn around and resell your new rear speakers like I did (at least I made a profit). If you watch eBay, a match will come around sooner or later for everything from 60s to current models.