Professional Sub for home use

Chipp4

In the quest for ultimate subwoofer performance, has anyone ever thought of using a professional touring caliber subwoofer for home use? Example: EAW KF940 has long term max output of 140 dB at 28Hz. Yes it is not rated down to 16Hz like a Velodyne HGS18 but is that really necessary? After all are some of us not trying to reproduce a concert audio experience in our house?

uh, golly... anyone who hasen't heard of these things before, ya gotta check 'em out...

Just to save some searching time, here's some interesting spec comparisons...

The big bad Klipsch RF-15 subwoofer:

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 19-120Hz±3dB

MAXIMUM ACOUSTIC OUTPUT: 121dB @ 30Hz 1/8 space, 1 meter

AMPLIFIER POWER: 2400 watts dynamic power / 1000 watts continuous power

DRIVE COMPONENTS: Subwoofer system using one 15" (38.1cm) rear-firing, aluminum cone woofer and one 15" (38.1cm) front-firing, aluminum cone passive radiator

DIMENSIONS (H x W x D): 19.2" (48.8cm) x 18.6" (47.2cm) x 24.5" (62.2cm)

WEIGHT: 85 lbs. (38.6kg)

.. and the EAW beastie...

+- 3dB 24Hz - 300Hz

-10dB @ 21Hz

105dB @ 1 watt @ 1 meter @ 28Hz

113dB @ 1 watt @ 1 meter @ 100Hz

Maximum output level -

long term 140dB (!!!) @ 28Hz

peak 146dB (!!!!!) @ 28Hz

Dimensions:

32" high

36" wide (THREE FEET WIDE BY THREE FEET HIGH)

52" deep (by over FOUR FEET LONG)

weight 360 Pounds

now, where'd that little Krell thingie get off to...

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray Ray Ray,you are funny.

The Krell MRS,SVS Ultra,Velodyne HGS18,Revel B15,RSW15 and other powerful home subs cannot compete with industrial sub woofers.These are designed to DELIVER HUGE SPL levels.

Big deal,I can take some inexpensive Cerwin Vega horn loaded subs and with ONE sub kill a person with the output around 40Hz!These monsters can pump over 135dB(single sub unit)driven by say a Crown Macro Reference

amp.WOW big deal

I know a audiophile(heavy metal maniac)who uses EIGHT(yes 8)custom Cerwin Vega Pro subs!These are juiced with Crown Revference Macro amps(whew)and for the mids and highs uses Pro stage monitors capable of over 145dB in the room!This mega system has over 30 kilowatts RMS!And With ONE WATT you get over 107dB!Now mister who will you impress?Not me

I go for quality and power.

Not only HUGE OUTPUT TO RIP PLASTER AND CRUNCH BRICK WALLS TO DUST.

Smile.gif

Still nice sub this EAW,me like me like...SPL..mmm...power...power TheEAR(s) likes.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Just as a kind of thought experiment here...

Anybody have any real idea just what, exactly, would happen if you took one of these KF940 subs, actually put it in your house, connected it to something like a Bryston 14BST or big Krell or better yet, a Boulder 2050M, popped in U-571 or Saving Private Ryan or Independance Day or something, and turned up the volume?

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

If anyone tries Ray's experiment please let me know. I want to be there cwm9.gif

------------------

FOR SALE OR TRADE COMPLETE R*3 SYSTEM FOR 3 HERESY'S

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R main)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running sub)

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

Eq_shadimar you would NOT like to be there!You would end with severe intestinal distress and eardrum damage!

I tell you with the subs I have now the bass shakes the foundation and the walls flex like paper!Its scary.

I can get over 126dB near 25Hz in my small room(all subs blasting)! This is MONSTER output.The Telarc spectaculars sound oh so impressive.

Now over 140dB would rip the intestines!cwm8.gif

Horn loaded Pro subs have a punch that is out of this world,even the SVSUltra,Aerial,Sunfire Signature,HGS18 and all the subs I tried and owned dont touch this IMPACT and INTIMIDATION EFFECT.Its ear stompin bass.

Think about this.

No human can stay in a room where you have over 120dB for any extended period of time.I experienced once the PRO system of the audiophile who has over 30 kilowatts and all Pro Cerwin Vega speakers(all horn loaded and even the sub 18" drivers are horn loaded!!!!!!!!OUCH)

Its scary power even with the volume set to under 10%!

It deconstipates you in a hurry!

My system is more civil,huge power and finesse.And remember my HT room is ONLY 10*14 feet! LOL

TheEAR(s) Now theears