FS: EICO HF-81 and Scott 222C

smuttynose

Both these amps are in unrestored condition. For sale as is, they need to be gone over and completely restored. The Scott face looks great but the insides are dirty and dusty and it looks as if it came out of someone's attic. Again, the face looks really nice, all knobs there and no scratches. The EICO works, has all tubes and it looks in great shape, but after about 15 minutes playing it starts to act up. WOW. Shut it off and get it fixed. I will send anyone interested some photos, but won't bother posting here. If you want a project to DIY or send off for serious work, these are great candidates. That is why I bought them, but now I am not interested in expanding in this direction further.

Price? Asking ain't gettin' so make an offer. I would guess either to be worth aroung two bills, the EICO maybe more because the tubes are all good and it is clean inside and out.

I restored a Scott 222C for a friend and the result was awesome. I didnt replace all resistors or capacitors, just a few in the signal path including the tone control area and rebuilt the power supply section. I recall my cost of parts at about $75 including a couple of replacement tubes. For those considering, it was a two week project just working a few evenings each week a total of 7 evenings if my memory serves me correctly.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

As you can see from the website pictures, I played it for about 60 hours though my Klipschorns and after about 40 hours, it began to sound quite good. I also tried it though a pair of Dynaco A25 speakers and KLH 17 speakers. Probably the best overall combination included the Dynaco A25s, the Scott 222C, the AR XA turntable shown on another page on the website, and a Shure V15-III cartridge. Talk about antique audio!! As I said before, it was awesome!!

My friend actually duplicated the system by bidding and winning the same elements from eBay. He was quite happy.

By the way, I do not repair or rebuild equipment for profit and am only providing this information for those who want to duplicate my efforts. It is a hobby that allows me to ****** an old piece of gear, restore it, listen to it, and resell or donate to family or friends interested in older equipment.

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=87&subpageid=134016&ck=

I dont have experience with the Eico HF-81 although I did build a pair of HF-60 mono-blocks in my youth along with an Eico HF-85 preamp and played them through a pair of Karlson enclosures with University Triax speakers, a Garrard turntable and GE magnetic cartridge the latter two model numbers escape my memory. The sound was quite good for its day. I wish I still owned the Eico equipment!!

>>>Dan

Why were the Khorns not in the corners you ask? I was experimenting with both imaging and bass loss at the time. I loved the way the end of the room disappeared with the units firing directly at my chair but, there was quite a bit of bass lost at 120 Hz and lower, and the sound was boomy with the bass boosted. The 222C had great tone control circuits!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I also built and experimented with a pair of home built ALK crossovers constructed in mirror configuration. The imaging improved but the bass loss was still the same.

>>>Dan

Hey Dan,

I looked at the rebuild photos of the Eico and it looked interesting, a guy could paint things about any color he wanted I guess. Not sure if it needed to be regular spray paint of heat proof/temp. resistant though. For a guy who can sit for hours working on stuff such as a model maker that looks like fun.

Years ago I had an oportunity to go to an old radio show at a local fair grounds but never made it, I bet I go to the next one if available.

Good luck on selling the gear, Smuttynose.