New to HDTV - have simple question......

BillH2121

I got a Sony 55 inch TV (A20 model - RP - LCD) a couple weeks ago. I am very happy with it for the most part. However, occasionally on HD programming I notice a "ragged" edge on black objects against light backgrounds. For example, people with dark hair, block letting, etc, What causes this and how do I correct it? Thanks.

I got a Sony 55 inch TV (A20 model - RP - LCD) a couple weeks ago. I am very happy with it for the most part. However, occasionally on HD programming I notice a "ragged" edge on black objects against light backgrounds. For example, people with dark hair, block letting, etc, What causes this and how do I correct it? Thanks.

Is it only on HD programming?

It does not occur on SD?

Are you using a receiver or an OTA antenna?

I believe what you are describing is macroblocking.

This is usualy caused by severe compression but can occur due to data loss\drop out.

The latter may be accompanied by green areas popping in and out, as well.

A thunderstorm or like is a good example of when this latter attribute occurs.

Sorry - I should have given a little more info. I have cable line into cable box and run through receiver to TV. It seems to be noticable only on certain HD programs. Its as if I can see the lines of resolution. I haven't noticed the green areas you mention though.

I am kind of at a loss because the artifacts you are describing are usually only noticeable on SD programming, and rarely on HD.

Since it is very expensive to just swap out a receiver or display to implement a process of elimination, the best question or suggestion is to see if it occurs while playing a DVD. If so, it may be your display but your DVD could also be to blame.

This is the only place I can really suggest to start unless you can borrow another cable box from a friend to see if that is the problem. Obviously, one device at a time.

You could also try a different input into your display or output from your video receiver. If any of these suggestions correct the problem, you will at least have narrowed the possibilities.

Keep us posted on your testing and let us know what you find.

I hope it is just an input problem or preferably a bad video receiver.

Does your TV have something like a 'black enhancement' feature? If so, trying turning it on/off.

Also, I've noticed that different HD programs seem to have been recorded better, if that makes sense. For instance, PBS HD seems to have some shows that look awesome, and some are really grainy and not very clear. Newer HD movies on HBO look awesome, older movies look so-so.

It may also help to use a setup DVD (if you haven't already) such as the THX setup that's included on many DVDs. It will adjust the picture/contrast/sharpness/etc to the correct levels and may lessen the problems you're having.

Did more viewing comparisons yesterday. Only the Discovery HD channel presents the problem I referred to. All other HD channels look great, DVD looks great. I do have the black enhancement off. The couple of shows I watched on Discovery plus commercials on that channel for other shows all had blocky edges on landscapes, people, lettering, etc. Switched to other channels and they disappeared. Watched "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" on DVD last night and it looked incredible. While watching Discovery HD, I tried switching from 1080i to 720p on cable box and the picture remained unchanged - still ragged edges on everything.

Did more viewing comparisons yesterday. Only the Discovery HD channel presents the problem I referred to. All other HD channels look great, DVD looks great. I do have the black enhancement off. The couple of shows I watched on Discovery plus commercials on that channel for other shows all had blocky edges on landscapes, people, lettering, etc. Switched to other channels and they disappeared. Watched "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" on DVD last night and it looked incredible. While watching Discovery HD, I tried switching from 1080i to 720p on cable box and the picture remained unchanged - still ragged edges on everything.

I do not know about your service provider, but Directv sent me another receiver when I complained that I could not get a 480i signal from the component output.

I tested the second unit and it too was incapable of a 480i via the component output.

Directv ignores the issue and their literature is all incorrect. It will not support it so beware if you are considering the same thing.This was a shame because I was going to direct it to my 3805 and use it for switching to the CRT Tv. I had to use S video instead.

The point is, at least they sent me another tuner to test. I would suggest doing the same. I have never heard of a video receiver having a problem with just one station and since the rest of us are getting the same signal broadcast to us, it is not the programming.

Let me know if this latter option makes any difference or is feasible.

Just spoke to a service tech for our local cable provider, Cox, and he believes there is a problem with the converter box. He said one channel could be affected and that he was familar with the proble he was describing. A service person will be out to our house on Wednesday - I'll see then what the real problem is. Thanks for the help, guys.

Bill,

For a data-point for you I also recently purchased a Sony A20 HDTV LCD projection TV. I got the 60" version (the eBay gods have treated me well lately). I have not experienced the problem you mentioned with my TV.

The main reason I chose that TV over all the others is how I just couldn't seem to see the lines of resolution as I could on so many other TVs.

My only dissapointment is how BAD standard definition TV looks on a big TV! The simple fix is to watch only High Def programming or DVDs... LOL.

I'll be interested to see if swaping out your cable box does the trick.

D

soupamoto