RF-3 match or mismatch???

reyramos

Hello everyone. I know I don't post much but i read all new posts everyday. I love the information that i get here but now i need some help. I want to have the new RF-3's as my fronts. But the surrounds and the center is where I have a few questions.

1. Would it be better to use the RS-3's or the RB-5's as surround? Either way they will be setup on the rear wall. I am thinking that the bigger driver of the RB-5's will add better impact and bass response in the rear. I don't know offhand if the drivers of the horns are the same.

2. Would the new RC-7 center or the RS-7 surrounds even be an option? I know the tweeters are different and might not match properly and that is what i am afraid of. But i am a big fan of a strong center. Maybe i am just underestimating the RC-3. Let me know what you guys think. All info is greatly appreciated.

------------------

'Strength and Honor'

If you are definately going with RF-3's as mains, you will get a better match by sticking with RB-5's or RS-3's for surrounds. The tweeters are the same in all and will have a better tonal match with the RF-3's. I have RS-3's as surrounds and really do like them, but you raise an interesting point. The RB-5's will give you better bass for rear surrounds than the RS-3's (larger woofer), but you will not get the diffuse surround that the RS-3's can offer. Some people prefer the sound of direct radiating surrounds, after all I used to be one of those people. That is until I got the RS-3's. I think what they lack in bass, they more than make up for in diffuse surround sound IMHO that is. You can always add a rear channel sub in the future to supplement the lack of bass. Don't get me wrong though, these are not anemic bass re-producers.

As for the center, stick to the match of the RC-3, or if you don't need shielding, and can find one, go with a single RB-5. If you buy a pair, you can always use the second as a rear center in the future.

------------------

RF-3's : mains

RC-3 : center

RS-3's : surrounds

KSW-12: subwoofer

Receiver: Denon 2801

DVD: Panasonic DVD-A120

CD: Yamaha CDC-765

Cables: Tributaries

Sat Receiver: Hughes Direct-TV DD5.1

-------------------------

Family room:

RB-5's (Mahogony)

Receiver: Denon AVR-2000 (2ch.)

Amp: Onkyo M-5000 (2ch.)

CD Player: Yamaha

Thanx. I figured what you said was going to be the answer. But you brought a new point. An RB-5 as a center. Has anyone been able to directlys compared the RC-3 to the RB-5? That is another option i might look into if there are any good results from it.

------------------

'Strength and Honor'

I have both, in different systems of course. I can tell you that the RB-5's do very well with dialogue. My wife watches a lot of Fox news for example. Shepard Smith has a very strong and deep voice. It comes through very clearly and robust on the RB-5's. On the RC-3 it sounds about the same, except not quite as deep and detailed in the bass region. The reason I say this is that most of what comes through the center is voices. Many voices give speakers a true test of their accuracy. Come to think of it, the RB-5's are video shielded, so you would not have to worry about setting them atop a TV.

------------------

Family room:

RB-5's (Mahogony)

I was actually thinking of getting the Outlaw 1050 receiver. Heard a lot of good things about it, and since Klipsch spearker are so efficient, i wouldn't need a kilowatt to get good volumes in my studio. I was also looking at Denon 3801/3802 as another option but the price of the Outlaw makes it more appealing.

------------------

'Strength and Honor'

I have also heard good things about the Outlaw 1050. I have a Denon 2801 with 85 watts/channel and it does a very nice job with home theater. My Onkyo power amp sounds better with music, but I cant complain about the Dennon, because I think you get a lot for the money with the 2801. If you decide on the Outlaw, let me know what you think. I may want to go DD 5.1 or 6.1 upstairs one day, and would like a good receiver at a reasonable price.

------------------

Family room:

RB-5's (Mahogony)

Thanx for all your info JeffGeorge. Does anyone else have any input regarding these options. Especially regarding the center channel option. I have heard that may people feel center channels are the weakest link, but carry the heaviest load. I want my stongest options.

------------------

'Strength and Honor'

Well, I have a very similar setup, so I wil chime in here.

I currently have a Denon 3802, RB5 mains, RC3 center and RCW3 for the surrounds. The surrounds are in wall reference series speakers with a 6" woofer and a smaller horn tweeter that can be aimed left and right. These aren't the round in-ceiling speakers, but the normal rectangular ones where the woofer is on the bottom and the horn is on the top. I have it all paired with a KSW 12 sub.

First, I have no concerns about the RC3 as a center channel speaker. Sure the RB5 would be the "perfect" match, but it still would sound slightly different because it is placed higher and in a different spot. As far as the bass is concerned, I set all of my speakers to small, crossed over at 80Hz, so the extra bass doesn't really matter from the RB5 vs the RC3. Also, the RC3 is designed specifically to be a center channel and placed up high on a TV. It even includes a handy nut and bolt to angle it down toward the listening area. The RB5 would have to be shimmed to angle the horn down, and may look funny sitting on top of the TV.

As for the surrounds - I wanted direct radiating - I prefer them for music, and actually like them for movies, too. The way I look at it is this, do I really want my speakers "changing" the sound to be more diffuse? It may sound cool, but IMO it is not accurate. If they want it to come from the left rear, then I want it to come from there, not just somewhere in that direction. I know a lot of people like the diffuse sound, so it is really a matter of personal taste (and the room). I went with in-walls for the look, and the sound is pretty good! On pink noise pans, they pan around the room and you can't hear the hand off between the speakers - they seamlessly blend together.

The receiver - all I can say is wow! I have heard that the Outlaw is pretty good, but it still isn't a Denon! IMO, Denon knows receivers, and they make them very well. It has basically all decoding formats, plenty of inputs, and incredible sound and power.

So I would suggest looking very hard at the 3802, get the RB5's for the mains, an RC3 for the center, and whatever you feel comfortable with for the surrounds. RS3, RB5 (or even RB3), RCW5, RCW3 - it's up to you. You won't be dissapointed with whichever you choose, as long as it is right for you. I just can't see spending the extra money for a center speaker that isn't designed to be a center speaker and is basically only sold in pairs. Now if you were to get 3 pairs of RB5 (L+R, C, SL+SR, SB), you would have a perfectly matched system, but for about $2400 MSRP. Also, I have read that the rear center should actually be two back speakers (7.1) instead of just 1 (6.1). This is to spread the mono rear center signal out across the back of the room.

Hope this helps.

Bryan

------------------

"... But Honey - I promise this is the last thing I will have to buy for the Home Theater"

Mistubishi VS60603 60" RPTV

Denon AVR 3802 Receiver

Denon DVM 1800 DVD Changer

JVC 3600U SVHS VCR

RCA DirecTV Satellite Tuner

Klipsch RB5 - Mains

Klipsch RC3 - Center

Klipsch RCW3 - In-wall Surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 - Sub (hopefully an RSW12 whenever they come out!)

Monster Power Conditioner HTS1000

Acoustic Research Pro Series Interconnects

An ideal front speaker array would be 3 RF-3s or 3 RB-5s!! Perfect tonal match, the goal of every center channel!

DD2

------------------

Denon AVR-3300

Acurus A200x3

NAD 7155 Receiver

Pioneer PD-F19 CD Changer

Sony CDP-C8ESD CD Changer

Denon 3000 DVD

Toshiba M784 VCR

B&O Beogram 1800 TT

Klipsch Chorus

Klipsch KV-3 Center