New member- My '84 Heresy mid just died

kelbad

My Heresys have experienced their first problem. I bought them new in '84 while stationed in Germany. Condition: excellent. (SN:8427605, )

I put on some music last night, sat down on the couch and went "Oh No!"

It seems the mid on my right speaker has died. I'm crushed. I have always loved these speakers, but have noticed they have lost their sparkle over the last few years. The formerly brilliant mid and highs sound flat.

I am pondering refurbishing these since I love the way look, and sound. Are parts available to restore the original sound quality?

I was looking for a "New to the Site" page to start studying. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

kelbad,

Welcome to the Klipsch forum. Yes, parts are available to repair your drivers. Since yours are from the 80s though, you would have to take the backs off and read what drivers you have. Several different midrange drivers were used in various Klipsch speakers during the early 80s. What ever they are, they can be rebuilt.

While in there, look around for any loose connetions and such on the crossovers and drivers. Could just have a connection problem

Bob Crites

Thanks for the Welcome Bob!

I just pulled off the back for the first time. Wow, i am surprised how clean/simple everything is. I was expecting to see some sort of batting, but this thing is clean.

Here is what I see:

Twtr: Klipsch K-77 (square magnet-interesting)

Mid: K-53 - K (conections are soldered)

Woofer: K-22-K

CrossOver Type: E-2

Thanks!

kelbad,

The midrange was the one that was sort of a wild card. What you have is the midrange that is still being used now in the Heresy II.

Anyway, I have the diaphragms for your midranges and tweeters if you should need them.

I would first suggest that you get the one midrange working that you mentioned had quit. If you don't find a bad connection on the crossover, the diaphragm is probably bad. You can remove the two wires at the crossover going to the midrange driver and measure the voice coil resistance with a multimeter. Should read about 11 ohms.

You mentioned that the highs are not as nice as they once were. That is likely to be in the crossovers rather than in the tweeters providing the tweeters are working at all. Replacing the capacitors in the crossover may bring the highs back.

Bob Crites

bobcrites@centurytel.net

kelbad,

I am not sure there is a reason to replace both at once. Not sure there isn't either. Jury is still out on that one. Find out if you need one, then shoot me an email.

Bob Crites

bobcrites@centurytel.net

Welcome!

You are off to a running start! You will never go wrong listening to Bob Crites. The forum is very fortunate to have him as a resource. He has the parts if you are brave enough to install them. Or you can send gear to him and he will do the job for you. I have never heard of anyone saying that they were dissatisfied or overcharged.

Look around the forum. There is much to command your interest. We have a few "contributors" who are "all hat and no cattle." Read them, too, just for the laughs!

DRBILL

From my looking around yesterday, I do see Bob referenced everywhere. I was starting to see that he is a great source for info on the classic speakers. When I get home, I plan to check my impedence to see if it is well out of spec. I need to run over to my girlfriend's to get her multimeter.

She thinks my amp and preamp are due to be retired. (Luxmon M-02 and C-02) They are as old as the speakers! I have a feeling she is right. I plan to replace them soon, while fixing the speaker.

Cheers!

Bob.

I think the mid test okay. I get 11.2 ohms. Is there a list of expected values posted for this speaker? I would love to check it out while "under the hood" and see if everything is within tolerance. I hear if my crossovers are the problem that you are great at rebuilding them.

Thanks,

Kelly

That sounds about right for the mid. The tweeter should read about 6 ohms and the woofer about 6 ohms also.

Look for a bad connection on the crossover. Loosen and retighten all the connections on both sides of the terminal strip on the crossover.

Bob Crites

Well, it looks like I have jumped the gun blaming my speakers. I checked both speakers and everything looks fine. While in there, I tightened everything down.

Both test at:

TWTR: 6 ohms

Mid: 11.2 ohms

Woofer: 6.9 ohms

It looks like it's time to upgrade the electronics. Maybe a newer, B&k 307 or 507.

Also, anyone have any experience with the Klipsch sub with the following label:

KG SW WAL OIL

I think it has a pair of eights in it.

Kelly