Add a Sub? Where and how?

mcdbirdman

I have one ksw12 sub placed behind my main listening position. I sit about 20 feet from my TV. I am thinking of adding a second sub and placing it in the corner right behind my TV and Klipsch RF speakers. Is this the best position for my 2nd sub in a large 25x30 room. Should I match my current sub and get another klipsch? Do I just split the LFE line at my Pioneer Elite VSX72 receiver? Thanks for the advice.

2 similar subs are easier to calibrate than 2 dissimilar ones.

Split the signal on the back of your receiver with a Y and run a cable to each sub.

The best place for a sub in a room can only be determined with an SPL meter, a test disc and your ears. The easiest place to put a sub in a room is to co-locate it with the first sub. You'll gain the most headroom that way and avoid cancellation issues. Non-colocation can help in difficult rooms but requires patience and some experimentation to get right.

I am thinking of adding a second sub and

placing it in the corner right behind my TV and Klipsch RF

speakers

This actually sounds like a better position than where your first sub is. Have you tried moving it there?

Should I match my current sub and get another klipsch?

What is your budget for this second sub?

Adding a second identical sub collocated (in the same spot) will give

you a 6db gain... while adding a second sub in a different area in the

room will give you about a 3db gain. The KSW series has been

discontinued... and it's replacement, the Sub12, has more output

than two non-collocated KSW12 (I believe ± 4db?). The Sub12 is

superior in sound quality to boot.

You may consider simply replacing (selling) your existing unit with a Sub12 or even two Sub12s.

ROb

WHOA, big room. You may need nearfield placement to get decent impact from a single sub in that room. As far as best placement goes, that depends on the room. Usually placing the sub in the listeners position, playng some good bass tracks and crawling around the room listening for the best response is a good place to start. Put the sub where it sounded best when you're done.

My room is 20x30x9 with many windows and open to the kitchen. Total volume is 5400 sq feet. What would be your suggestions on correct sub? I thought the correct placement for just one sub was always behind the listener--is this wrong?

You'll need 4 of these things to make an impact in a room like that. The correct placement is not usually behind the listener. The correct placement is where you get the smoothest and loudest response in the listening position or a function of several listening positions. This can be anywhere from a corner to the middle of the room. Lower frequencies are sensed as the most non-directional. Do a search on sub placement and you'll get a good idea of where to go.

Nearfield may be your only option unless you plan on upgrading or adding several more KSW's. If your budget allows you'll want to upgrade to at least the sub-12. I think you'll need an RSW-15 minumim to fill that room.