PW 2200 rattling/hissing??? Please help.

Underhanded Penguin

Hi guys I just bought this sub the other day. Am on a tight budget. It sounds great and has plenty of output for my 10' x 14' room. However, I noticed that on medium to high volumes, low frequency emmissions <30hz produce a hissing/rattling type noise from the back of the sub. I put my ears close to the back of the sub while this happened and was able to localize the source of hissing/rattling to the vents on the steel plate/ heat sink thingy. These vents are NOT the port of the sub. (There is no noise emanating from the port no matter how loud i drive it.) I think these vents serve to cool the sub down or something (I know very little about this stuff)Anyways, the louder I turn it up, the more noticeable it is. Under medium volmes it is not noticeable. Can someboday tell me if this is normal??? It only happens on low frequencies at medium to high volumes, such as Bjork's Hyper Ballad (track 2 on the Post album)Anybody else have this problem???

I'd appreciate any help before I lug this beast back to the dealer... If this is the normal (ie. I am driving them too hard) then my expecatations and demands for a good quality sub are higher than I thought, and I would consider spending a little bit more for something that will meet my demands. But my priority is with fixing this problem if possible. I mean i love the sub, it's just that hissing...

THX in advance.

-UP

------------------

I love you Aki Ross!

Penguin,I had the Paradigm PW2200 sub at home and I never heard any noises like you report.

The only places where you should hear sound(noise)is from the woofer cone and the big rear port.The amp should be sealed,no forced air should pass there.

I did not open the PW2200,but even the less expensive Paradigms like the 1000 and 800(band pass)has sealed amp chambers.

Just send Klipsch an E-mail. LOL No just go to the www.paradigm.ca site and e-mail Paradigm about this.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Penguin-

I have a PW2200 and have been running it for about 16 months and have never heard any of the noises you mention. If it is something coming from the big heat sink, I would follow TV's advice and check if there are any attachment points loose. I can't remember if there are any screws on the sink or not, but the sub should not rattle like it is in your case. Call/email Paradigm if you can't solve it yourself.

jhawk