Recordings with "rimshots"

Klipschguy

Hey guys,

Do any of you know of a good jazz or blues recording with a strong measure of "rimshots" on the snare? I would really like a good recording where there mid horns can really show their stuff. Rimshots on the snare seem to be a good display of hair trigger transient response.

Thanks,

Andy

Ive been getting into "Live at the Greek" by Stanley Clarke, Billy Cobhram, Larry carlton and others lots of great sounding percussion and really gets better the louder I play it. Also you mighy want to try Bella Fleck and the Flecktones (greatest hits) I bought it and really am impressed with its overall sound through my K-horns great percussion Bass guitars horns and Banjo! very nice I notice on alot of music I play when I crank up the volume 80% of the sound is great but I hear A mid-high blare that starts to hurt my ears and doesent sound like real music. Ive had my K-horns for 16 years and that sound was always there but didnt bother me. Now (getting older)my music tastes have matured and Im trying to tweak for best sound, Ive gotten A good tube int. amp (carey), ive discoverd this BB (Im becoming obsessed) dampened my horns and have ALK networks on order, well that should help. Do any of you guys have that mid-high blare or is it just my ears or being too fussy or live room acoustics let me know. thanks, Ed

No, it is not just you, the big old horns we love suffer from this malady, the good news is Dr. ALK has the cure!

One of my all time favorite CDs: the amazing "20 Bit Taste of DMP" sampler from Digital Music Products.

(Go to http://www.dmprecords.com/dmp_collections.htm).

A jazz CD, it is one I carry with me to test other systems. It is clear - it is clean. There is more silence in the quiet passages than almost all of my other CDs. The highs snap like hard icicles. The lows are earthy deep and rich. The recording is uncrowded with only a few instruments, so musical contrasts stand out vividly to each other.

I love the Digital Music Product (DMP) CDs. They are among my all time favorites. Stereophile magazine (Nov. 99) emotionalizes the DMP does DSD SACD. It is replete with enjoyable sonic doodads of every kind, they gush, delicately struck cymbals over whacking good made-ya-blink drum-work, a mellifluous, yet taut and precise guitar, and a richnredolent acoustic bass.

Every tweaking audiophile should own a Test CD Chesky, Stereophile, Reference or DMP.

One of Diana Kralls latest CDs has been a revelation for me (Stepping Out, Justin Time 2000). Great voice. Small band. Simple tunes. Classic smoky jazz caberet material like StraightenUp and Fly Right (Cole/Mills) Body and Soul (Green/Heyman/Sour/Eyton).

When the bassist draws a bow across his strings, my soul hums with a peace and quiet like a country stream in sunshine and a smile rises up from inside me. This is as good as most stereos get at reproducing the real thing. A female vocalist and a small accoustic band.

The disc is a new release of her first work in 1993. It is digitally re-mastered at SNB Mastering in Montreal using 24-bit/96 kHz technology. The sound is close to flawless. While I love the DMP and Chesky recordings, because they are such great recordings, they still do sound like just that, great recordings. This CD, whether it is the rawness of a new artist, or the superiority of the new technology, I dont know, but this disc, does not sound like a recording at all.

------------------

horns & subs; lights out & tubes glowing

This message has been edited by Colin on 10-14-2001 at 07:33 PM