Attack of the Pretty People

damonrpayne

I'll post this here even though its Television and not DVD based. The Mrs. watches some shows on TV when she has time:

-One Tree Hill

-Smallville

-Law & Order

-L&O Criminal Intent

-L&O SVU

-L&O Trial by Jury

-Nip/Tuck

-Everwood

-CSI Vegas

-CSI Miami

-"Vegas"

Is it me or is Jerry Bruckheimer and the WB trying to ruin America? Everyone in these shows is beautiful. The women who are crime lab researchers or district attorny's would really be underwear models in real life. It is just TV, sure, but its so detached from reality and sends such a bad message about what life is about/should be about that it makes me want to tear my eyes out with a corkscrew. If my daughter were to watch these shows with us (she doesn't) she'd get the idea that ever single woman on the earth was either the "ugly picked on girl" or an anorexic super-sexual being with a $20,000 wardrobe. The situation for the males is better but not by much. In Tree-Hill the High School students all have their own apartments and regularly start businesses requiring huge capital (like one girl's night club) and also attend bars regularly etc. Holy fantasy land batman.

I know, I know, if its crap I don't have to watch it nor let my kids watch it. It just seems ridiculous to me. It seems like TV has in past years become far worse than any of the previous generation of "sex sells" and totally messing with kids.

Rant off.

The reality shows have taken over! Have you noticed how the sitcoms have gone away and the endless run of fake reality has taken over? yeccch!! I'm so tired of hearing someone's stupid opinion of how they thought and felt when he did this or she did that-- and it all seems to have descended from Real World, an MTV experiment that wouldn't go away. Now its format is everywhere--

I also can't watch the new dramas--the stories so rarely ring true. They look like alot of poseurs to me. Gorgeous babes digging dead flesh with a scalpel while wearing make-up and breasthugging tops? I don't think so--

The media is 95% liberal -- and they present their news or views as if we are abnormal if we might disagree--

TV doesn't hold the magic it used to--sorry for venting from a slightly older grouch--

Just let me have my movies and sports--

I thought the exact same thing Damon, and Theryagobuddy I think tv is rediculous. I've banned Mtv years ago. I will never ever try and give that poser sh-t my ratings. Reality television is probally the worst trendy "look at me i'm on tv" self poluted, insecure, A- hole crap you could ever watch. It's all marketing scams. Hey if you don't have this, or look this way your nothing, and all we want is your fat a@@ dirty dollar. The worst part is people actually watch this sh-t and keep it on the air! The old geek and freek story.

• Moderators

I thought the exact same thing Damon, and Theryagobuddy I think tv is rediculous. I've banned Mtv years ago. I will never ever try and give that poser sh-t my ratings. Reality television is probally the worst trendy "look at me i'm on tv" self poluted, insecure, A- hole crap you could ever watch. It's all marketing scams. Hey if you don't have this, or look this way your nothing, and all we want is your fat a@@ dirty dollar. The worst part is people actually watch this sh-t and keep it on the air! The old geek and freek story.

Yikes, wheelman, watch the overuse of edited yet obviously foul language!

But your last sentence really made me want to post...did anyone ever watch Freaks and Geeks??? Fantastic but short lived show....and not "super" pretty people. I was sorry to see that one canceled. If it's out there for rent, highly recommended.

were all pretty pretty people HAHAHA

I remember a lawfirm sorta psuedo like boston legal. But the women were

average looking (by that I mean there not supermodels) but wore

expensive as hell clothes and jewelery and makeup since they can

actually afford it unlike tv shows which have everyone in designer

labels.

I think even regular shows were crazy too... Friends and Seinfeld

apartments were huge for what manhattan has yet they never had really

"high paying jobs" but they sure had nice things inside their homes.

I'd have to agree with today's TV images being unrealistic (the gals, the story, etc). Bruckheimer certainly has a formula for ratings, though. I can't STAND reality/celebrity/unscripted TV -- it's all bunk to me. Survivor was interesting on the first go around. Jackass was hilarious to me simply because when I was in college you could have substituted any one of those guys for my roomates (or myself for that matter). The fact that in a given hour of a show has only 40 actual minutes of the show makes me love my PVR all the more. The Sopranos gives me 58 minutes out of 60 with riveting acting, story, realism, etc. Simply the best show on TV. I probably enjoy Scrubs and House more than most as a medical professional, but I think they are a little more original than most. Curb Your Enthusiasm is a show I have been recently turned onto.

Just too much eye candy and crap on the boob tube now.