Single squawker for center between Cornwalls?

whtboy

Would a single K-55 squawker work well as a budget center channel speaker between a pair of Cornwalls in a small room? I'm gonna be strapped for cash if I get these Cornwalls and I'm still going to have to get a new set of tweeter diaphragms from BobC.

Seems like the majority of the center channels speakers out there can't match the 98dB sensitivity of the Cornwalls and the ones that can are pretty expensive.

I'm not so concerned about the high end (can always add a tweeter later) but I'm not sure if the K-55 will go low enough to make male vocals sound good.

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks!

-jacob

It will sound screechy and horrid. I tried a La Scala top section as a center and it was awful with the accompanying bass response.

You have to remember in HT all the channels have 20Hz-20Khz bandwidth so you are going to be missing ALOT of information just having a horn at center.

Get a KG 2.2V for the time being they are only like $100, or better yet find a beater Heresy and clean it up and use it instead.