Klipschorn

I was curious as to what is a reasonable price to pay for a pair of 1978 Klipschorn's? Is 3k a reasonable price or is that a bit high? I know the price of the brand new pair, which is considerably more. I'd eventually like to try a pair of these, however I'm not sure what sort of room requirements I'd need for them. Anyhow I doubt that the fiancee' would be very willing to make that purchase without being able to hook them up and use them.

As far as the price, 3K is high. They typically go for about 1500 - 2500. Condition & finish are the main factors. The other big driver is transporting them. They weigh about 170 lbs apiece, but the tops, are easily removed.

As far as requirements: they must be placed in the room's corners (or false corners can be constructed). The corner completes the final flare of the horn. Without this, the bass will be severely compromised. The other requirement is that the source and amp must be clean and quiet. Any distortion, hiss or hum will be ruthlessly revealed. However, a mega watt amp is certainly not a requirement. Unfortunately, the price for new K-Horns is high. Not many are made so it would be hard to find a deal. The good news is that the older ones are pretty good and it is unlikely that the drivers would be damged.

You will probably get much advice on other "requirements". However, I would go slow. Get them, locatethem properly and then enjoy them for the next few months. There is plenty of time for the later craziness about the other issues.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Yes $3K is on the high side in terms of what a pair of these would usually go for. However, if they are in excellent condition and you do not have to pay for shipping (nearly impossible, IMO) or make a long road trip to pick them up, those considerations would add to the value.

If you do not have the corners you need, you could build false corners, like Mr. Paul Klipsch used on the system in his living room.

Now regarding your fiancee. My best advice is to convince her the Khorns go with the marriage. If you consider this issue difficult during your engagement.... it will become impossible during your marriage. :-)Yes $3K is on the high side in terms of what a pair of these would usually go for. However, if they are in excellent condition and you do not have to pay for shipping (nearly impossible, IMO) or make a long road trip to pick them up, those considerations would add to the value.

If you do not have the corners you need, you could build false corners, like Mr. Paul Klipsch used on the system in his living room.

Now regarding your fiancee. My best advice is to convince her the Khorns go with the marriage. If you consider this issue difficult during your engagement.... it will become impossible during your marriage. :-)