Which speaker- Klipsch RB-75,RF-5 or RF-35?

MojoX

Hi, I am planning to buy new front speakers (rear speakers will follow later) for my 16 square metre room.

I have a Yamaha 757 receiver, a Sunfire True MKII sub (originally I wanted a RW-12 but then I got the Sunfire offer) and I listen to all sorts of rock,reggae, a little pop and soul/RNB,Jazz.

So which speaker is the best regarding the performance per buck? I guess I would have to pay 1000 dollars for the RF-5, 800 dollars for the RB-75 and 600 dollars for the RF-35.

Besides I will have the possiblity to give them back if I don't like what I hear...

Thanks!

MojoX

Hey mojoX,

It would be a close call between the RF-5's and RB-75's if you are using these in a multi-channel or HT situation.

If you have a sub and I would have to choose on a "Bang-for-your-buck" basis--the RB-75's. I use those for mains in my bedroom (and rears in my main HT) and they really fill the room with quality sound for music and work seamlessly with my RC-7 for movies. When you decide to add surrounds, they will still be great to use as mains--or if you are lucky enough to find a pair of RF-7's at a good deal--Move the RB-75's to surrounds and have an obscene Home Theater. [;)]

Thanks for your opinion. Well, I have the Sunfire sub which is great.It only goes up to 80hz which is enough though I guess (for the RB-75). And then I will use my floorstands which aren't capable of function as good front speakers as rear speakers (which they do now as well). For the center I would have to wait a few months as it is not really cheap. But I learned that it is better to buy step by step than to by all at one point...

So I will check the prize for the RB-75 again and think how I will position them in my living room...

I agree staying in the budget is very important for true happiness in this Hobby. [;)]

That being said, I don't think stores are going to have the RF-5's or RB-75's in stock for very much longer (if they have any at all) since they are discontinued. That's not to say that the new Reference line won't have some great speakers, but there may be a sale on remaining merchandise and you could get a good deal. [:)] Good luck.

{edit: The RC-7 center channel would be a great investment to use with any of the speakers you mentioned and if it could be picked up at a good price, would keep you from feeling the need to upgrade your system--Maybe ever }

Another thing to note with the new reference line is that the prices

seem to have gone up a bit. The current top-end floorstander, the RF-7

retails at $2200. The RF-83 which is replacing it will be retailing at $2,498, according to the press release.

Do you think I can use the RB-35s (if I don't buy 2 more RB-75s) as rear speakers or that they would be sufficient or would the RS-7 speakers be better?

The RS-7's are good speakers and have the "WDST" technology that helps placement in less than perfect situations. That being said-- IMO, your RB-35's (I thought you said you had floorstanders) would work equally as well if you can put them where you want.

{edit: The RC-7 would be a better investment than purchasing RS-7 surrounds if you already have the RB-35's [;)]}

I have or I wil have next week the RB-75s.I will use them as mains. Then I am going to buy the RC-7.That is clear for me. But the question is about the surrounds. As I understoood the RS-7 would be the best. I will have to check my bank account though because the RS-7 are more expensive than e.g. the RB-35s. But propably I will wait until I can afford the RS-7s...

I just checked and realized that I could afford the RF-5 as well.If I would transfer more money I could get them. The problem would be that I would have to wait for a center a few months then...

So what do you guys think: Is the RB-75 at least an equal good choice for me as the RF-5?

To your memory: I have a room with only 16 square metres. Then I have a sunfire true sub mkII which is pretty good and then I will buy klipsch rears later (propably RS-7/RS3 or RB-75/35).

So again the question: which one is better for music and movies: RB-75 or RF-5? Or are they about the same?

Greets
Mojo

edit: If my old speakers which are on ebay now bring me the calculated money I will buy the RF-5s. I just talked with my Klipsch-dealer about that and he will reserve both, the RF-5 and the RB-75 until the end of the month....

I just checked and realized that I could afford the RF-5 as well.If I would transfer more money I could get them. The problem would be that I would have to wait for a center a few months then...

So what do you guys think: Is the RB-75 at least an equal good choice for me as the RF-5?

To your memory: I have a room with only 16 square metres. Then I have a sunfire true sub mkII which is pretty good and then I will buy klipsch rears later (propably RS-7/RS3 or RB-75/35).

So again the question: which one is better for music and movies: RB-75 or RF-5? Or are they about the same?

Greets

Mojo

edit: If my old speakers which are on ebay now bring me the calculated money I will buy the RF-5s. I just talked with my Klipsch-dealer about that and he will reserve both, the RF-5 and the RB-75 until the end of the month....

I think you will love the RF5's - mine replaced Cornwalls and I find them a worthy replacement for this revered heritage. The RF5s are great for music and movies.

Sadly I don't have the possibility to do that. It will definitely be a blind buy. What I can imagine is that the RF-5 has more power and a more full sound when listening to stereo music. The RB-75 could be a little better in the higher levels.

Am I right (at least a little) and which speaker would you chose if you had to replace your RF-7 with either RB-75 or RF-5 ?

Sadly I don't have the possibility to do that. It will definitely be a blind buy. What I can imagine is that the RF-5 has more power and a more full sound when listening to stereo music. The RB-75 could be a little better in the higher levels.

Am I right (at least a little) and which speaker would you chose if you had to replace your RF-7 with either RB-75 or RF-5 ?

For stereo without a subwoofer I would choose the RF-5's. For Home Theater and I had to get rid of my front two speakers, would I prefer the RF-5's or RB-75's (which I own 2 pair) [:^)] To be honest, my gut reaction would be replace towers with towers, but after experienceing the RB-75's in my home--I would really have a dilemma.[:^)]

Whew--I don't have to make that decision. [H] [:)] IMO, you couldn't make a wrong decision. Good Luck.

I solved my dilemma and bought a pair of RF-7 speakers which I will get in about 10 days. That's a little crazy but I can't wait to welcome them in my apartment. I could have waited for the new speakers but at least the RF-83 is much more expensive and I think the RF-7 is propably better than the RF-63...

Cheers

Mojo

I solved my dilemma and bought a pair of RF-7 speakers which I will get in about 10 days. That's a little crazy but I can't wait to welcome them in my apartment. I could have waited for the new speakers but at least the RF-83 is much more expensive and I think the RF-7 is propably better than the RF-63...

Cheers

Mojo

Congratulations [Y] I don't know how they will sound compared to the RF-63's but I feel certain you won't be disapointed. I'm not trading in my RF-7's.[;)]