ADA890's vs. 4.1's

Tlam

Uh, no. The 890s are not crap, but altec likes to sell speakers that focus half and half on sound quality and features, where as Klipsch is 100%. You don't see any good features on the pros, but they do their job better than any other system (games and dvd). Look out for the new altecs though. Although I'm starting to look at ign as a imcompetent bose lover, they said that the sub beats the pros, which is an amazing feat. They also said that the sats midrange was more detailed, however the imaging isn't as good, and their is no transparency. I'm still suprised that the sub was better though. (biggest multimedia sub to date, bigger than 5.1s and dts)

well, i say they are crap for several reasons:

1) they have a serious technical issue - it's called 180 degree phase cancellation...email altec lansing and they will admit that the ada890s have this problem...trust me, play 4.1 (gaming) and you'll notice the crappy sound quality...

2) no tweeters in rear - inconsistent sound...

3) price...

basically the klipsch are considerably better in almost every area except features...but then again, who needs "stereo x 2" when the klipsch seem to do them automatically when you turn the "surround" volume up...hmmmm...

but that's just my opinion from owning both sets and having gone through about 7 different sets of computer speakers...

later

Sorry, when I hear the word crap I take as the product your talking about is bad, poorly made, and/or DOA. The altecs really aren't bad. I just don't think something should be called crap because you can get a better product for the same price. "Crap" should refer to the actual product, so the price should not affect if it is crap, unless it is insanely overpriced.

ok, let me make myself clear:

because of ONE major flaw (180 degree phase cancellation) i have one word to describe the ada890s - CRAP...

that describes them until altec lansing fix the stupid problem that they have...it's a big technical issue, altec are very aware of it, and until they fix it, people will purchase the speakers thinking they are good (which they would be without this stupid annoying problem) and be very disappointed (like i was)...

to give you a comparison

the acs56 are WAYYYY better than the ada890s...and about 1/3 - 1/2 the price!!!

of course, you can disagree or whatever, but just email altec and they will confirm this problem...trust me, it's a biggie and will affect their sales (considering most audiophiles will return the speakers)...

no more discussion is required...

The AltecLansing 890 VS Klipsch ProMedia 4.1

Very easy victory for the ProMedia 4.1

Sound quality,from sub bass to highs the ProMedia is superior.

Loudness the ProMedia can blast and the ADA890 just cant keep up.Even if Altec stamps THX logos on each driver.

Built quality,the Klipsch is a more solid product(if QC was done).

Balanced sound,all four Klipsch sats are two way.The Altec uses a poor full range for the sourrounds!Its as if the sourrounds were added later and as a candy add on.Not very serious.

Gizmos galore,here the Altec takes the cake.With its "electronic" controls.If "cool" effect you want then gizmos you'll love.

Seriously its Klipsch by knockout.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

ADA890 vs Klipsch 4.1 -> I'm sure Klipsch will win. I've heard ADA890 and the sounds is really not too impressive

Altec 641 -> piece of crap. The treble WILL make your ears hurts and the bass is too boomy and not too responsive

So far all Altec PC speakers fail to even get within range of the ProMedia quality.

Altecs are good inexpensive PC speakers(under $150),Klipsch are great PC speakers($180-400).Those who seek more power and quality will take Klipsch.

TheEAR(s) Now theears