Help! RC-7 to go with RB-35 mains... Crazy?? Stick with RC-35??

scooby guy

Newbie questions here. HT and music use are 50/50. Room is 14' deep (12' listening distance) x ~30' wide. 10' ceiling. 5 year old Sony receiver (STR-DE925) 5 x 110w. Nothing special, but gets it done for now. Receiver will be in place until funds can accomodate an upgrade.

Due to my odd media center arrangement, the largest speaker mains (L/R) I can fit are RB-35's. Just picked up two. Will be getting an RSW-10 or 12 within the week. I was set on an RC-35 main, but have been reading in this forum spotty opinions on the RC-35....

The questions are:

1. Is there any truth to the RC-35 being muddy and un-inspiring? Obviously the cost and size would offer me a nice advantage over the RC-7.

2. If I mate the RC-7 to the RB-35's, will that be a mistake? Will the HT experience be disappointing due to a superior / mismatched center?

Thanks for all of your valuable input, experience and opinions!

I have the RC7 with RF35 Mains. I listened to all the talk about the RC35 having voicing problems, being "tubby", "too non-distinct", etc.; then I listened to the two speakers back to back in two different listening rooms.

I had to agree - the 35center is not the speakers the RF35's are; nor within a distant city block of the RC7. With the idea of someday upgrading to RF7 mains (when I upgrade my house!), I got the best sound reproduction. I realize it may sound less than practical; but, within reason, the money is far less important that the quality of the reproduction. The RC7 is the best center channel speaker currently available (discounting customs and units matching other arrays), and you can do no better.

As to the idea of the center "out classing" your mains - this is possible though unlikely. A few seconds with a good pre- (or integrated) and you can easily match up the timbre/balance for theater as well as music. If your pre/amp provides a self-setup, the machine will make the adjustments for you. If not, simply use a test tone and a Radio Shack meter to match the dynamics.

I had a decent center with the 35 mains and received my C7 for my anniversary. I've logged a zillion hours with it since, with movies and music, all with a permanent grin on my face. The amazing impact this single speaker makes on a system is just not worth reading about - please go listen immediately and decide for yourself.

I learn so much each time I read this forum, which has become a daily ritual for me. That said, I'm always leery of anyone who expresses their opinion (though most are always so well informed and useful!) without encouraging you to decide for yourself. A quote usually attributed to Duke Ellington said "if it sounds good, it is good". Go listen - it sounds good!! I read here not long ago where an individual snagged a RC7 in maple for $400! What a deal!!!!!

Hope this helped!

Ken

I'm running RB 35 for mains, RC 7 center and RS 7 surrounds for a second(wifey) system and the 7 matches quite well. I have a line on some RF 35s and if I can ever get the time to post some pictures of the RBs I might just get to upgrade, but I'll tell you, if it doesn't work out and I "had" to keep the RB 35s, I would remain happy because they are a very capable speaker. You will be very happy. Of course, you're going to get the RB 75 reccomendations coming in. I've never heard them but I understand that they are much better than the 35s, but also twice the money. I'm not sure how they can sound twice as good, esp to my concrete ears.

Billy