Creating a Projector

SirAdrian

This may be legit, but I can't help thinking it looks like a science project I did in middle-school. It also reminds me of those projector "lenses" you could buy for like $20, put in front of your TeeVee, and they'd magnify an image of dubious quality onto your wall.

Again, these may be legit.

I read thru the first link and there is quite some detail. I love to DIY on many things, but I still stick to stuff that I cannot buy at a reasonable cost. Some things are for DIY others not. I dont know if a projector is the right DIY project. Things to consider:

1: Used projectors just 2-3 years old are on ebay for under $500. Compare that to the cost and effort of making your own.

2: Can you really make a better one yourself: The overhead projector route seems to leave a lot of stray light out. That will destroy your contrast ratio. The thing is kludgy and not very portable. Taking an LCD panel appart is risky, there are thousands of fragile contacts on the egde that have to be mated perfectly.

3: OK, so you got good resolution, but what is going to take care of the deinterlacing, scaling, etc etc. Cheap DVD players do this well already. You need a darn good graphics card in a PC to do this well. DVDs are 720x480 only anyway, and many very good projectors such as the infocus 4800 have no more than this. Why do you need more?

4: What about keystone and other setup issues.

5: How will you handle component video?

I love to DIY on many things, but I still stick

to stuff that I cannot buy at a reasonable cost. Some things are for

DIY others not. I dont know if a projector is the right DIY project.

Things to consider:

1: Used projectors just 2-3 years old are on ebay for under $500. Compare that to the cost and effort of making your own.

2: Can you really make a better one yourself

I'm with efzauner on this one... as much as i like DIY, projectors

don't seem to be a good candidate. By looking at the DIY versus

retail units, the DIY projector's biggest advantage is the use of

inexpensive bulbs in exchange for eliminating most of the fine tuning

and user friendly features a retail unit has.