WOTW sub problem...kinda?

Reochamp

OK just purchased,

Synergy sub-12

F-3

C-3

S-3

and have a Denon 3805 on the way...Now I've been reading all these post on HT-forums about WAR OF THE WORLD blowing peaples drivers exc. w/the low bass it has on its DTS track,

will I be ok playing it on my setup? Can this system handle this kind of movie?

As you can tell I'm new in the audio department and Klipsch, what should I put my sub settings to for optimal performance?

Thanks

I have not heard of a movie blowing anyone's amp...or speaker...

What damages speakers/amps....is playing too dayum loud and you let the amp clip....

proper setup using a SPL meter will ensure this does not happen....

WOTW is quite a workout for a sub. Most single driver boxes can not faithfully reproduce that movie at reference levels in the average room. There is material down to 3Hz in some sections. If you hear any type of clacking or odd noises from your sub, back it down quickly. The Incredibles is another fun disc for a sub.

Ok I am now getting frustrated, what meter are you talking about? how does it work?

Filtered, means that I am giving up alot of juice if my sub is filtered, I thought only low-end subs were filtered, Is the Synergy sub-12 not a good high end sub?

Did I throw away money by buying this system?

Whats to loud? b/c I love it loud if it sounds good.

Can the Denon 3805 not give me enough power to where I have to worry about my sub blowing or my other speakers like my F-3 on movies like WOTW?

I haven't received all my speakers yet they will be in on Friday along w/Denon 3805

All I have at hom now is my sub-12 and old speakers on my old 5.1 Onkyo A/V

Please explain these thing to me I don't want to blow my speakers!

Ok I am now getting frustrated, what meter are you talking about? how does it work?

Filtered, means that I am giving up alot of juice if my sub is filtered, I thought only low-end subs were filtered, Is the Synergy sub-12 not a good high end sub?

Did I throw away money by buying this system?

Whats to loud? b/c I love it loud if it sounds good.

Can the Denon 3805 not give me enough power to where I have to worry about my sub blowing or my other speakers like my F-3 on movies like WOTW?

I haven't received all my speakers yet they will be in on Friday along w/Denon 3805

Please explain these thing to me I don't want to blow my speakers!

Radio Shack Sound Pressure Level Meter....

Use it to set your speakers to all play the same level with test tones.....if you use a test DVD such as AVIA or even the THX portion on Thx dvd if you set them all to 85dB then the louddest part of a movie would play at 105dB....which is really really loud!...

check out some older threads on SPL meter...

before i set everything up correctly i watched WOTW. gain was too high, phase was wrong. and i Love it Loud also. -10 on Denon receiver. didn't damage any of my stuff.

get the SPL meter , set it up right , and enjoy. you will be much happier with it all set up right.

then the fun starts....room modes,reflections,bass traps, acoustic treatments..the madness never ends.

I'll try and answer some of your issues.

what meter are you talking about?

Sound pressure level meter.

Is the Synergy sub-12 not a good high end sub?

the sub-12 is a good sub..dont know that i would consider it high end though

Whats to loud?

if the sub is bottoming out distorting its to loud

the sub has its own amp. F-3's don't need much power to play loud. but you can clip the receiver amp and fry them (the tweeters will go first). at -10 my Denon avr683 80 wpc does not clip. this is about 98db at 12ft from speaker with SPL meter.

they'll probably be there sooner

Onkyo is a good receiver

spend some time reading on this forum, look at some old posts, you'll learn a lot. and by all means ask.ask.ask.

I would go down to radio shack and get a sound meter. I think in the long run its a good investment. Also as mentioned before get a test disc. There is alot more to setup then just volume levels and you will enjoy playing with it. This will not only allow you to get the sound system calibrated, but it also has tests for your picture.

There is alot more to setup then just volume levels and you will enjoy playing with it

true i'll whip mine out when the kids and their friends get too loud and show them how loud they are.

ive never used an auto set up feature on a reciever so i really dont know if the microphone does a good job or not. what i do know is that the SPL meter is a valuable tool that can be used for setting up speaker levels. it will also help you find high pressure points in your room caused by sound waves bouncing off the walls. which will aid you in speaker placement , seating arangement, and acoustcal tratments .

they cost about 30 bucks for an analog model or 50 for a digital model at radio shack. they both do the same thing ,just have a different display. i like to watch the needle move and i'm a cheap sob so i got the analog one.

because you dont have your speakers yet. and you havent been around audio forums for very long . you dont think the meter will be usefull to you ( i was the same way). i had everything set up and enjoyed the sound. the more i read around here and asked questions and kept hearing "get an SPL meter" i decided what the heck they dont cost that much. then i used it to set up right and wow what a difference.

i still have some things to do. i got the rives audio disc to make further adjustments but have not used it yet. i also got a heck of an echo that i have to deal with eventually. i'll get there. the meter was the 1st step. i'm not saying run out and buy it right now. but after you get everything, try it out. hang around here . you may find yourself wanting MORE, BETTER. then get it. or you might not ever get the MORE , BETTER syndrom. alot of people set up their systems by ear and are completely happy with it.