Cornwall and Heresy horn exit point question

eq_shadimar

Okies -

I just got my brand new to me Heresys last night to use as surrounds with my Cornwalls (only need a "classic" center now woohoo). They are older Heresys of the same vintage as my Cornwalls. Both speakers have the horns mounted from the rear. The motor board openings are just straight cut and I was wondering if this adversely affects the sound waves coming out of the horns. So the first question is does it affect the sound and if so is it possible or recommended to:

to front mount the horns

or

using a dremel tool or file flare the edges of the wood

or

Am I just overthinking it all to much and I should just sit back and enjoy the sound? I love how it all sounds right now but I like to tinker also.

Thanks, cwm9.gif

------------------

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R Main)

Heresys (L/R Surrounds)

RC-3

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running sub)

HT Room now X10 Controlled

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

This message has been edited by eq_shadimar on 10-18-2001 at 11:03 AM

First try lining the openings with heavy felt. Front mounting the tweeter will be a nice improvement, but the Heresy has a sealed cabinet and the seal is very important. The Cornwall, while ported, is not supposed to have leaks either.

John

John,

Interesting suggestion - just to get this right in my mind, do you mean lining the inside edges of the motorboard in the cutout? What does this do or how does the "new" sound sound? (nice sentence, huh...) Did you do this to your LaScalas, also?

Thanks much,

Ross

------------------

"Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana."

This message has been edited by RossVTaylor on 10-18-2001 at 07:16 PM

Ross,

Yes, I did it to my front La Scalas to the squawker opening. I went to Home Depot and bought their heaviest self adhesive felt and cut it into 3/4" strips. I stuck that to the edges of the plywood where the squawker horn "looks" through. I disassembled my tweeters to front mount them; don't do it, get Z-brackets!

It's been so long I can't remember how it affected the sound. I don't think I did that much for the squawker.

John

Thanks for the replies guys. After doing some listening I think I am going to leave them as is for now (as far as trying to front mount the horns). John could you explain what "z-brackets" are? I may try the felt thing as that seems cheap and easily reversible.

My biggest project now is going to be moving them all around the room trying to find the best place for surround sound. Damm these things are heavy.

Thanks again,

------------------

...wake up to find out that we are the eyes of the world...

Visit my webpage to see equipment

Klipsch designed the Z-bracket to flush mount the tweeter in a Belle and K-horn. They require a larger hole for the tweeter so it can fit through to the front. The the Z is used to screw the tweeter to the back of the motorboard while holding it forward flush with the front of the motorboard. It will also work on La Scalas. I con't recommend them for Cornwalls or Heresies due to the cabinet seal that's required.

John