Question: WIth out compression what does a normal CD translate to kbps?

jacksonbart

I forget what the bit rate of PCM is exactly but this might help:

From: http://www.puredigitalaudio.org/digitalcompression/faqs/WhatIsDigitalCompression.shtml

Audio Compact Disks store the audio data in files on the disk. The audio data is in a PCM (Pulse Code Modulation) format. Each minute of recording time consumes about 9 MB (Megabytes) of file storage space. A three minute song would occupy about 27 MB of file storage space, and a 5 minute song would occupy about 45 MB of file storage space. Not really that bad, a 650 Megabyte Compact disc can contain up to 74 minutes of PCM audio.

I mathed based on those numbers (using 1024KB = 1MB)... I got 1536kbps for PCM.

I agree with you too...mp3 is good for sitting at a computer or driving in a car. On a good home system however...the compression loss becomes apparent. MP3 and other high compression algorithims take away data for audio frequencies outside the range of "normal" human hearing, it also removes data for complex blended sounds that are hard for the ear to distinguish (meaning we don't really notice they're gone). However the point of "Hi-Fi" audio is to accurately reproduce the recording from the data collected in the studio/recording area...compression defeats that goal.

Real physics shows real vinyl is better than 2600kbps. That's 30 bits at the molecular level x 44.1 KHz (just to be fair, and because it's really there) x 2 channels. I beleive it. That's why I laugh when I see/hear a 1411 kbps CD called ...

Interesting Honestly...that makes a lot of sense. IMHO vinyl played on good, properly set up gear does sound "better" than CD played on equivical digital gear. I can only attribute that to the fact that in some way the recorded audio sample on a vinyl LP has more of the original information from the source stored on it than is captured via PCM.

Real physics shows real vinyl is better than 2600kbps. That's 30 bits at the molecular level x 44.1 KHz (just to be fair, and because it's really there) x 2 channels. I beleive it. That's why I laugh when I see/hear a 1411 kbps CD called ...

Those 1189 additional bytes are really just the surface noise of LPs.

These guys agree with you. My guess is you have been eating too much of thier cereal.

post-16829-13819281049014_thumb.gif

Real Player shows CDs at 1411 kbps. That's 16 bits x 44.1 kHz x 2 channels.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Real physics shows real vinyl is better than 2600kbps. That's 30 bits at the molecular level x 44.1 KHz (just to be fair, and because it's really there) x 2 channels.

Now I am confused, because I understand the transfer rate of CDs equates to the quality of the sound. Measuring bits I get. But how does one approximate the transfer rate of an analog device?

Do the RCA connects plug into some kind of transfer speed measuring machine?

[:^)]