Shelter 901 in the house

joshnich

Picked up a slightly used Shelter 901 for a pretty reasonable price (although if anyone told me that I would be spending this kind of dough on stereo gear I would have thought they were nuts!).

The reviews are accurate. This is a fine sounding cart. I cannot compare it to other high-end carts because I havent heard them. I can say that compared to my Sonata - which I think is a musical gem- the shelter takes vinyl to a new level. Very dynamic without being edgy. As close to live as I have heard. Tight bass and liquid vocals. Virtually everything I listen to is based in acoustic instruments and this cartridge does them justice !

Josh

Grats on the Shelter.

My setup took a huge leap forward with the new cart I put on. It all starts there. I never thought I would spend more in that area also, but now after hearing the difference I got my eyes on even more high end stuff. Jazzman helped push me in this direction and I'm very glad he did.

No Disc

I just took delivery on a used Benz Ruby 3. With in 45 minutes after signing the UPS forms, I had it hooked up and digging into the grooves. Man does it sound fantastic. I also have a Shelter 901, Benz Ace, and Ortofon SL15E MK II. The Shelter 901 sounds great, but I don't she a very good match with my JMW 9. I will put the Shelter 901 on th Gon soon.[:)]

Congrats on the 901 - it is a superb cartridge - one I ran for a couple of years in fact - if only it was a better match for my currenty arm....

Should be great on the modded RB250 in your sig. Nice choice of table manufacturer too - all in all - I approve!!

• 4 months later...

RAPTORMAN,

I have an Ortofon SPU G/T that I like very much, and I was

thinking of getting an Ortofon SL15 to try it with my preamp which can

also handle MC cartridges. How do you like your Ortofon SL15E MK II? (I

believe this is similar to SPU G/T, but without the step-up

transformer, right??)

Kudret

hey raptorman when you go to sell the

shelter 901 would you consider offering it here first i have been

thinking of getting one for a while now, if the price is right thanks

Joe

Joe, Glad to see that you are still out there! How's the new house going?

Larry

Sorry Kudret

It's an old thread that is why I did not notice your question. Between my carts. I use the Ortofon SL15E MKII the most. I'm not familiar with the SPU G/T; but you are correct SL15 MKII does not have a built in transformer. I love the sonic attributes of the SL15E, It seems to produce the Low level of information that I'm looking for. The only drawback is that you have to have a very good phono stage to really enjoy it. The SL15E is a real LOMC, I mean it has 0.065mv output. Somebody mention to me once that there is only one cart that has a lower output and believe it is another Ortofon. That being said you need a phono stage with very high gain or a real good stepup transformer. I'm using a BAT VK-P10SE SUPERPAC and I have the gain set at 78db to get the SL15E MKII to sing and she does a great job. By all means get the SL15 and let us know how you like it-- They are not expensive at all.

hey raptorman when you go to sell the shelter 901 would you consider offering it here first i have been thinking of getting one for a while now, if the price is right thanks Joe

SorryJoe, this is a very old thread. The Shelter 901 is gone long time ago. I quickly got an offer from a local buyer back then.

hello again to you larry, the house is going ok i have a lot of money to spend on projects i have decided need to be done, have been working crazy housrs of overtime to try to put some money togeather to start on the projects, all types of ways to spend money besides the hobby .

thanks for the reply raptoman, story of my life

"day late & dollar short"

Joe