Outlaw pre and power amp sound quality?

MarkBK

I've got a surround sound system built around Outlaw 990 pre and 7 m200 amps. The speakers are all Heratige. It sounds fantastic. That being said, I'm going to build a surround sound tube amp to compare. All in all, I like the Outlaw gear.

yaffstone, Sounds like and awesome system! Do you use it for music. home theater or both? What styles of music?

I originally built the system for home theater but I found that 7-stereo mode is fantastic for music. I listen to old time (pre-bluegrass), acid rock, classical (mostly strings), and jazz. I am astounded by the full sound in this configuration.

With all that said, I would not go with 200W/channel into heritige again. Sure, there's a lot of headroom, but it's really a waste of rack space and money. I've got a pair of k-horns in a stereo configuration and I can't even turn the volume knob to half way on a 35W/channel tube system without disturbing the neighbors.

Good luck making a choice. I don't think you'll be dissapointed if you do go with Outlaw.

I originally built the system for home theater but I found that 7-stereo mode is fantastic for music. I listen to old time (pre-bluegrass), acid rock, classical (mostly strings), and jazz. I am astounded by the full sound in this configuration.

With all that said, I would not go with 200W/channel into heritige again. Sure, there's a lot of headroom, but it's really a waste of rack space and money. I've got a pair of k-horns in a stereo configuration and I can't even turn the volume knob to half way on a 35W/channel tube system without disturbing the neighbors.

Good luck making a choice. I don't think you'll be dissapointed if you do go with Outlaw.

I agree - I've used my Mac MC240 (40 watt tube) with Heritage - Cornwalls - for 20 years and now with my RF5 Reference system and it is MORE than enough to wake the neighbors AND send the kids running too! The Outlaw interest is to bring the quality up on the HT and Multi-Channel side and I thought the 7075 would be more than adequate for my needs.

I have the 990/7125 in my house for a demo,its a little analytical on

my 7's,not bad but not smooth at louder volumes and forget poor

recordings.If you do like the Outlaw go to onecall and look at the

Boston 7120,msrp $3k on sale $999 w/18 months same as cash.It looks

just like the 990 from the rear other than sp outs v xlr.

I have the 990/7125 in my house for a demo,its a little analytical on my 7's,not bad but not smooth at louder volumes and forget poor recordings.If you do like the Outlaw go to onecall and look at the Boston 7120,msrp $3k on sale $999 w/18 months same as cash.It looks just like the 990 from the rear other than sp outs v xlr.

Fish - thanks for the tip re: Boston 7120. How long have you been testing the 990/7125? Louder volumes - harsh? What music have you been using - 2 channel? Multi-Channel?

EDIT: Have you tried them with your RF5's? Any better/worse? That's what I'd be using with the Outlaws

. BTW - How big is the room?

I've had the 990 several days,20 hrs or so 2ch listening.I listen to

lots of classic rock,hard rock 60's to present.I don't have much

problem w/very good recordings but anything less than good is a little

hard to listen to at anything above moderate volume for long.I would

not go as far as harsh,the 990 sounds pretty good.I would say that in

the same way Klipsch is forward the 990 is forward,thats a good thing

for me unless you add both together then you get two forward,ha.Your

milage could vary greatly,this is only to my ears.I tend to think the

990 would sound smoother on top w/ 5's but its only a guess right now.My room

the 990 is in now for testing w/7s is 21X25 apprx.