Centre Channel Dilema

Vaystrem

I've been asking a lot of questions and getting a lot of answers, so here's another one.

I've been looking to try and (as closely as possible)

match the timbre between my existing speakers (Nuance tower's with a hard tweeter) to another centre channel.

The options I have locally are:

- The RC3 which i can get locally for $425CDN

- KSC-C1 for about $325

- and a Cerwin Vega LS-6C for $299

No one has been able to tell me if the timbre between a horn based centre (klipsch) and my hard tweeter towers, will be to painful to live with until i can afford to upgrade my towers, or if they will match ok.

I was looking to the RC3 because I do want to upgrade my towers sooner rather than later (hopefully march when my student loan comes in, ahem)

So... traditional tweeter based centre with my towers

or klipsch horns with my towers..

thoughts?

thanks

I don't mean to sound overly simplistic, but since your choices are all available locally, why not bring them all home and eardition them. Check with the dealer to make sure you can return the "losers."

Another way to look at it is this: If your direction is to Klipsch front speakers, DON'T even consider a non-Klipsch center channel. So now you're down to 2 choices. The RC-3 is for the Reference series and the C-1 is for the Synergy series. Which series front speakers are you going to get? Then, just get the right center for them. If I were you, I'd live with that versus getting one that is close to what you have now, knowing I was going to upgrade my mains. Besides, it will give you added incentive to save to upgrade the mains to Klipsch's!!

DD2

Originally posted by dougdrake2:

>I don't mean to sound overly simplistic, but since >your choices are all available locally, why not bring >them all home and eardition them. Check with the >dealer to make sure you can return the "losers."

I tried before but i'll try to see if i can buy & return if i don't like, hopefully I can be more convincing this time than last time i asked Smile.gif

What is a good test to show timbre match? What is a good movie to watch? What should I be listening for if i do get a chance to try them out at home?

vay, watch out on getting just a center based on budget. imho an rc-3 will not be a good timbre match to your other speakers. but yes it would be a great timbre match to any klipsch reference speakers.

but for your speakers decision don't start w/ a center only. start w/ a group of well timbre matched speakers that sound best to you. if u like the klipsch reference then get the rc-3. yet keep in mind you'll need to eventually get the other best matching speaks.

u could try a test disk like video essentials or avia guide to home theater to do the panning tests.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front)

Klipsch KLF C7 (center)

Klipsch Cornwall I (rear)

Klipsch KLF C7 (rear center)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

B&K Reference 30 preamp/processor

Acurus A200X5 power amp

Marantz MA6100 mono amp (rear center)

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Monster HTS2500 & HT200 powercenters

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Technics dual cassette deck

Monster HTS1000 powercenter

Bedroom:

Sony STR-DE935 receiver

Technics cube speakers

rock on!

This message has been edited by boa12 on 10-21-2001 at 03:15 PM