REGULAR MAINTENANCE

DRBILL

I just finished installing Bob Crites A/AA crossovers and refitted drivers. The result is stunning. You never notice your windows getting dirty on a day-by-day basis, but when you wash them you see how much you were missing.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

While I was at it I did routine maintenance. I cant remember the last time I did it. I tested the tubes, reset the bias, snugged up a few loose RCA plugs, cleaned and lubed the pre-amp controls, dusted everything including the CD player lens. A lot of audio gear wont complain about a lack of maintenance until it fails. Dusting and improved ventilation should be at the top of the list, with bias correction a close second.

DRBILL

Shame on you! You know better than to confound the comparison of sound improvement by doing all that maintenance before upgrading. You should have done all that maintenance before the upgrade so as to include any effects of the maintenance in the "before" condition of the sound, then put in the new networks to hear the net difference. You are hearing the gross difference confounded by the maintenance.

Glad to see you like them but you may catch hell on this thread for bungling the methodology...[:P]

Since my occupation as a maintenance man I have found out through the years that the more maintenance that is performed the worse the performance---within limits. But the little tweaky stuff you do (dusting, push in loose connectors, etc) doesn't hurt anything unless you burn your little pinky on the tubes or the 100 pound amp falls on your toe. The statement above refers to normal careless maintenance people, not the super great maintenance people that are hard to find. I assume that you are in the super great category. You might also check the cable runs for mouse eating damage. They like the taste of the insulation coverings on the cables when they are starving. Do you have a tube pin straightener? Nothing like trying to push in a tube with the pins lined up in the wrong holes. If you clean the tubes too much then you risk wiping off the nomenclature then you have to guess where it goes. I hate when that happens. Chassis nomenclature also.

JJK