New Veneer for Khorns?

Well, hey! Just got a nice pair of '76 Khorns which shipped ex-factory KC-BR, raw birch. The CFO of Compaq was the original owner, and he had them veneered with a light oak treatment. In the 25 years that have transpired, the veneer has dried, cracked and become brittled. Some of front edge trimming is gone. So the question is, what do I do?

I would love to replace this veneer with a nice cherry or mahogany or maple veneer ... Should I remove the existing veneer (is it possible?) or just veneer on top? Should I have a furniture person do it? I've heard that without high-pressure application one's bound to get bubbles ... I'm going to re-grill them for sure, have some left-over brown from the '60's ... think they go better with the medium colored woods/veneers.

Anybody's input is welcomed!

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

If you are going to reveneer, it needs to be over a sound substrate. It sounds like you may have to sand down to solid, well bonded veneer, or remove the old veneer. There are different methods of applying veneer, e.g white glue, hyde glue, yellow glue, contact cement. But most are susceptible to removal with heat. Cleaning up the glue residue is a chore, but can be done.

If you are not thinking of taking up veneering as a hobby, but really want to do this job yourself, I would suggest you use preglued, paper-backed veneer. You should be able to do a respectable job. As far as other methods go, no, you don't need a high pressure press to avoid bubbles. Bubbles are generally the result of poor workmanship and/or inexperience. And they can usually be fixed satisfactorily.

However, unless you are, or are planning on becoming, a skilled veneerer, I would recommend that you let a professional do the job on your Klipschorns. IMHO they deserve the best workmanship and materials. And a good veneer job can only enhance their value.

BTW you might want to check out www.constantines.com to see what kinds of veneer you can get. If you are going to go to the trouble and expense of veneering, why not pick something more exotic than cherry, maple or mahogany?

I've had some experience in applying veneer on a home made project and not being happy with it. Then taking it off.

This is a real mess.

The problem is that you can remove veneer with a laundry iron to loosen up the glue. But then you have a graggy surface of glue residue. I put down formica and had to live with it.

If you're absolutely committed to putting on a new veneer, I'd say leave the old stuff in place, and put something new over it.

Given the intricacies of the K-Horn cabnetry, this is a major project.

I just don't see any easy or cheap fix. Maybe a pro can match the missing pieces of trim, and give you a new finish. And touch things up.

Gil