SS pre with Scott Integrated - Creative thinking or trouble in the making?

rplace

This is a sort of follow up to my original post: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/674719/ShowPost.aspx

I dragged my old SS preamp out of retirement and hooked it up to my Sonic Impact t-amp . It sounded nice, but a tad harsh/bright. I have read that the SI amp needs some time to break in, so maybe it will mellow in time. What I did notice was that the phono stage was slightly quieter at higher volume. This got me to thinking why not use the SS Pre and the Scott as just an amp.

I ended up running the TTable to the SS pre (Carver CT-17), then the pre out to the line in of my Scott Integrated. In essence I have swapped out my Scotts phono stage for the Carvers. I know most would suggest if you are going to mix tubes and SS that you would want the pre to be tubed and the amp to be SS, but I dont have that option at this time.

I gotta tell you it sounds pretty darn good. What do you preamp experts make of this? Am I gaining the benefits of 30 some years of phono stage evolution? The SS Carver pre is from around 1992 or soand at the time was not all that high end, but I dont think it sucked either.

So do I have the purists holding back their gag reflex to puke or I have I just come up with an ingenious way of making lemonade out of my collections of lemons [8-|]?

Surely this is not the way my system will end up. I am still working the BB/BBX angle on the home front. However, for now I think I will keep the SS pre and Scott tubes over just the Scott.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Your cartridge/TT/tonearm might be a better match with the Carver than the Scott. Better is always good.

It's fun to play with what you have to try to get a better sound.

Example:

I just hooked up my homemade S-5 8 watt amp to a JM-200 and it sounds pretty damn good. Better than my McIntosh MA5100. It will have to hold me over until I can afford monoblocks.

I am using a 2004 Luxman int amp as a preamp with my Cayin TA 30 tube int amp with very good results!

I have tried a Ground Grid tube preamp and a Merlin tube preamp and I like the sound of the Luxman better with the Cayin. If I had a really good pair of tube monoblock amps I might like the tube preamps better, maybe but maybe not.

If you have found a combo of gear that gives you a sound you really like then that is what matters. If you are happy with the sound then stop with this system and enjoy the music.

I think for some of us it is more about the system and trying new equipment and for others they are able to find a system that works and enjoy the music. If you feel something is still missing keep looking .