billyjoe72

please do tell me how your method is? all three. I was thinking on the

piano black finish and I think my method will surfice. Get some aniline

dye and dye the wood black so if scratches happen they are less

noticeable. Then get some good enamel black paint (I think benjamin

moore sells a great one) give is some layers. And then sand each layer

and high sand (2000 grit the last layer) then get some polyurethane or

lacquer etc and then layer it on with sanding each way. Also final

polish it with 12000 grit sandpaper, yeah you heard right 12000 grit.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12000 grit most likely feels like a babys butt.[;)] Right now I am using two different paints one brush and one spray. Many coats, many sands on each. Polyurathane....using 2000 grit between each coat. Coat #2 is drying right now. I'm trying rubbing compound on another. I like the idea of staining first. Makes good sense. They are looking pretty good so far.

Well, I got all the pieces cut. I don't have any parts yet, so I can't do the cut outs. I did draw them however. I have dimensions on the arsenal so that could be cut, but I don't have them on the PR's or amp. I drew out some estimates for them. I drew out 13" cut outs for the PR's and 10" on the amp. I'll change them if need be. Now it's sit and wait for parts. ( and money )[:(] As far as the piano black. I'm on my third coat of poly. It looks real nice. Can't really tell a difference from one piece or another now. If anything, I'd say the black spray paint and 1200 grit is looking better so far. I'm sure it would be just as durable. I need to go get some finer paper today or tomorrow.

til next time

Bill

This is what I feel like after posting all of this. Kind of looks like my avatar. Although I do have a date with my wife this friday and I was wondering where to go, the radio asked for caller #10 for a $50 gift cert. to a nice local restaurant and I won as I was doing this. YOO HOO.

post-17599-13819281472448_thumb.jpg