RB-75's and Yamaha RX-V557

mtber101

Hey guys,

When I watch movies, no matter what sound processing I have the receiver set at...the 75's have a funny sound with higher pitched vocals. It's hard to describe what it sounds like... maybe a very light cracking sound. They do this even at low volumes. However no matter what kind of music I listen to, the 75's don't make this noise.

I'm using a lower end Toshiba dvd play with analog audio connections and I also watched a movie using my laptop, both making the noise. Any thoughts?

I know the RF-7's can take a lot of power but would my yamaha be able to drive them until I get some nice seperates? (putting the 75's as surrounds)

It's hard to tell exactly what your problem is. If you are using your 5 channel analog connection from your Toshiba dvd player for movies, then it's your Toshiba doing the decoding. If you are watching movies (which it appears you aren't) with either the COAX or OPT, digital connections your Yammi is doing the processing. I find it strange that vocals in movies sound bad but vocals on music sound fine. [:^)] To me, it would seem vocals are vocals.

IMO, Yamaha (especially a lower end, older model) would not be a good match for a RF-7/RC-7/RB-75 HT. You will hear that RF-7's need at least a 200 watt amp to be driven to their full capabilities. I won't deny that, but I use a Denon AVR 4802R in my main HT (and a Denon AVR-3805 paired with my RB-75 bedroom HT) and I don't feel the need to upgrade to separates.

Without knowing your situation, and loving the sound of my RF-7's this is what my uninformed opinion would be:

1] Find a deal on the recently discontinued RF-7's (and the RC-7 if you don't have it already)

2] Purchase an older model Denon AVR used. I saw recently on the forum a person picked up a Denon AVR- 3802 for $200. I have a Denon AVR 3803 in a Klipsch Legend system and feel you would be ecstatic connecting that to an upper end Reference HT. The recently discontinued Denon AVR 3805 should be able to be found at a good price in some stores (I have some connections in DFW if anyone is interested in picking up this model).

I don't feel I have helped you much but maybe bumping this thread back to the top will get you better results. [;)] Good Luck. {edit: I couldn't find the RX-V557 on the Yamaha website} {edited a 2nd time [:$]--I did the search in "older products." I see that the RX-V 557 is a current model. I wouldn't pair that AVR with the RF-7's}