KSW-15 buzz at certain frequency

Wild Blue

Hmmm... I've had my KSW-15 for about 2 years now, and enjoy it. but I noticed when I put in "Michael Jordan to the Max" that the specific bass frequency in the opening title gives my sub a buzzing noise. I did a frequency sweep on the sub with my Avia setup disc (I think, maybe it was VE) and there is a buzz at a certain frequency. I looked at the bottom of the sub for a tear on the speaker fabric, but there's none. Definitely something wrong, though, and it seems to be new. Any thoughts from people? Has a screw come loose inside? Should I open it up and look? Or should I just send it back for warranty work?

Ok here is some help

To make sure there is no loose screw or object in the KSW-15 remove all conecions.

If you are strong enough pick the sub up and shake it!

LOL No I am not joking,after all its not over 60lbs.

Do you hear anything moving inside?

Ok ok if you cant shake the sub...

Push in the center of the woofer(dust cap),do you hear or feel any scratching?If yes your drivers has to be changed(it can only get worse and finally will stop working).

From this point on you could void the warranty so caution here.

Put the sub upside down,remove all screws that hold the bass driver.Dont touch any parts on the amp inside.

Do you see any loose objects inside?

Gently push the center of the cone(dust cap).Does the cone move without any noise?The cone should move smoothly.If you feel some scratching,the voice coil is not aligned and probably damaged.

Again when you push on the cone it should go in smoothly,always push in the center.

Now even with the sub open(driver unscrewed)power the sub up.DO NOT TOUCH ANY PARTS INSIDE or ZAPPPPPPP

Yes the sub can work upside down no problems.

Put someting with plemty of bass,like the part where you hear the "buzz".

Now do you hear it?

The driver if defective should "buzz".Do you hear it?

If you did not detect any scratching(voice coil on magnetic gap)then this could be an amp problem.

Contact Klipsch tech support.At least try the first steps,push the woofer in the center to check if the driver is ok.

Hope this helps

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Thanks... I'm positive it's from the sub. I've used the low-frequency sweep to check for buzzes in the room. It's kind of amazing the things you find that buzz at certain frequencies, like a radiator that most of the time is no problem. This one is definitely coming from the sub. I've put my ear up to it several times while the Michael Jordan DVD is playing, and there's a buzz from it at that frequency.

Thanks for the input, Ear. I'll see what I can find.