When to buy a new Dell?

Wild Blue

I'm VERY torn here. My current Dell is about 4.5 years old (PII 266) and getting sluggish. I'm wanting to buy a new Dell, but don't know when. On one hand, Dell is offering GREAT deals right now on computers, with many, many rebates that apply to me and would be great. You can order computers with Windows XP that will ship on Thursday when they're released.

On the other hand, the sound cards offered are only the SB Live and the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. And the good speakers offered are Altec Lansing 885 speakers, which I can't tell if they're truly Dolby-Digital capable or not. I don't know if I should wait until they offer the newer generation of sound cards and possibly better speakers. (Hmmmm... Compaq offers the Klipsch as standard equipment)

I'd use the computer mostly for internet and gaming. Music and movies would be lower in priority, since I have my nice Klipsch system in the living room.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Well, I just couldn't stand it anymore, so I went ahead and bought a Dimension 8200 2.0GHz with the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz card and ADA885 speakers. I'll see how they are, and then heck, if I don't like them, I can always sell them on E-bay and buy a Audigy or new Turtle Beach, and ProMedia 5.1 set, huh?

Colin you are very correct here,the best time to get a new PC is when the speed is snail fast.

I purchase a new PC every year and a half(well upgrade parts often to keep the PC's in tip top shape).

The Turtle Beach Santa Cruz is a great choice,the best sound card(sound quality wise)for your dollar.I tried many and the Snata Cruz is the real deal.

Now with a 2GHz P4 you should last a while,just be sure to get a GeForce 2 GTS or more(games need speedy vid cards).

I have a P4 1.8Ghz and Athlon both with GeForce 3 vid cards(ASUS V8200 deluxe and plain).The games(Unreal,Q3 Arena)are smooth even at 1600*1200,32BIT color!

TheEAR(s) Now theears

• 5 weeks later...

I for one am all for building your own computer. I used to be a Dell man but couldn't stand knowing I didn't need their service. Dell service is great and I was pleased during the years I owned one but I had to know what was going into my computer and that I could upgrade easily. Hope you enjoy your computer!!

~ya still around, Amy?]

------------------

1GHz TBird

Abit KT7A-RAID

Kingmax 256MB PC150 256MB PC133 Infinion

Annihilator2 32MB GT§

Intel Pro100+Management NIC

Promise Ultra100

IBM 75GXP 45GB ATA100 Maxtor DMP6800 27.2GB ATA66

Plextor 16X10X40A §ony 12X DVD

§BLive! 5.1

AOpen HX08 Full Tower 300W

§ony CPD-G400 19" Triny

ProMedia 4.1

Hey Paragon! I think you were the very first person i ever talked to on this BB!

yeah, amy is still here Smile.gif

you should visit more often!

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

Paragon,

Nice monitor,the G400 is a very good unit.I have both the G500 and F500R and will not trade for any other make.Sony makes the best CRT monitors.

Its better to build your own machine,you get what you want and dont pay for "service" you dont need.Experienced users dont get brand name PC's.

My three "clone" computers beat the living computing power out of the brand names.I know what I want and I pu only selected parts in.No bull,no hype just pure performance.

With brand names you buy hype,and the $799 and sub $1500 PC's are built around GARBAGE.All in one mobos(integrated video and audio)and slow hard drives mated with sub standard scrapyard parts.All boxed in a very nice case and matching keyboard and mouse!

Get a **** dude. Buy HYPE dude

cwm27.gif

No DUDE I am NOT getting a ****

And never will,custom built is the only way to go.

When you get a **** DUDE you get the B0$e of PC's!

TheEAR(s) Now theears