Still looking for quartets

oldtimer

Thanks Bill, I have seen those, and if you look at the pics closely you have to wonder what grade of sandpaper (not microfiber) that was used on these. The initial bid of 450 is ridiculous to me. There are a few on ebay right now with what are Forte II beginning bid prices and as you have pointed out, these are the only ones close to me. When did someone decide that these speakers needed an explosion in price? No previous auctions confirm this! Even if it is my own father, I will not succomb to this.

I agree that prices have gotten a little strong of late. I bought a pair of mint walnut Quartets on ebay about 6 months ago for $375 buy-it-now.

Have you considered a nice pair of Heresy's for your dad? I prefer the mid/highs (openess) of the Heresy to the Quartet. The Q certainly has better low end extension.

I have considered the heresies, but for the same price the low end of the quartets seemed to make them a better deal. I bought a pair of heresies for my father in law before, but the seller screwed up the shipping and I ended up getting my money back. I refurbished my 1980 mission 700s (the ones with the 8 inch woofers) and gave those to him. Now I have no speakers to refurb, so I am looking for quartets. I just don't think that the heresies will be what I want for dear ole dad.

Hey, ot, this guy in Tulsa has a pair of walnut Forte's (first generation) for sale on craiglist. They have a couple of small scratches on top from the pics he sent. They appear to be listed at $650. That may be a bit strong.

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/ele/128820045.html

Pics: http://www.cashpayouts.com/forte/

Don't know anything about the guy or the speakers. Just saw them on craiglist.