+4 to Tube Pre-amp

doctorcilantro

Can anyone clarify if running +4 out of a soundcard with 1/4">RCA cables into a tube pre-amp is safe?

Someone is trying to tell me it is and my impression (or experience) is that when you try to boost input to the card from the pre by switching to +4 you actually get a drop in volume (impd. mismatch?), I'm wondering if this is a way to squeeze out a hotter signal w/o using the software on the card. Due to Replay Gain being wacky it's a pain to use software faders...but that's neither here nor there. What exactly is the danger of a +4 signal running into a Sunfire tube pre?

thanks!

Dr. C

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I am using a Sunfire Classic pre. The +4 is always mentioned in terms of "pro" gear i.e. balanced xlr cables and the like

I have tried the +4 into the pre and it sounds okay, going the other way, as I said the sound card can't deal with it.

I'll try playing with it some more.

thanks so much

JC

Keep in mind the difference between the typical +4 and -10 standards is actually something like 16.6dB. One is dBV and the other is dBu, if memory serves. They're referenced to a different voltage, as Mark alluded to above. It sure helps avoid confusion...;)

Sounds to me like when you switch the soundcard to +4 it's not only putting out a hotter signal, but looking for a hotter signal at the input and reduces the input sensitivity. Also it may look for a lowZ balanced line instead of a highZ unbalanced.