Testing my (KSW-15) subwoofer...

akhare

Hi folks,

This might seem like a silly question to many of you, but how can I tell if my subwoofer is wired correctly and working? I have a RX-V1200 receiver (succesor to RX-V1000), and have connected the subwoofer output to the LFE-IN on the KSW. All other speakers (RF-3, RC-3 and RS-3) seem to be working fine.

Is there a easy way to check out the subwoofer?

Thanks,

Atul

Akhare I have a very similar Klipsch Reference setup. This may seem like a silly answer to your silly question, but just put your hand under the sub and feel for any vibrations when you are playing a music or movie where you know there are low frequencies below your crossover setting. If you can't tell, chances are it's not setup properly or not turned on. I have a KSW-15 and when it's on, you know it's on. the sub has left and right inputs as well as a direct LFE input that does not have any low pass filter. If you want extra bass output, buy a y-splitter and split the lfe rca cbale coming out of your receiver/amp and connect it to both left and right inputs on the sub.

Don't forget when you have the sub on auto on, there is a 2 second or so delay after the first bass signal under the crossover freuency is sent to the sub.

-UP

------------------

I love you Aki Ross!

M - I believe he would be referring to how quickly (or slowly) the sub responds to musical dynamics (loud, soft, rapid-fire bass notes, silence, etc...). A 15" sub has more mass to move than a 10" or 12", thus potentially takes longer to respond and may not respond quickly enough to "keep up" with the music. Kind of like stopping a 6000 pound Yukon versus stopping a Geo Metro...

As to whether the KSW-15 is slow or not, I can't personnally say as I don't have one. Perhaps others who do will chime in.

DD2

quote:

Originally posted by Underhanded Penguin:

If you want extra bass output, buy a y-splitter and split the lfe rca cbale coming out of your receiver/amp and connect it to both left and right inputs on the sub.

Don't forget when you have the sub on auto on, there is a 2 second or so delay after the first bass signal under the crossover freuency is sent to the sub.

-UP

Thanks -- I tried this out, but still didn't get any output. My receiver has a low frequency test that allows me to output test tones, and it appears that the subwoofer simply isn't working (all other speakers output the tone). I connected the subwoofer ouput from my receiver to both the R and L inputs using a Y splitter. It seems that the subwoofer is defective, unless I am missing something else...

Atul

Make sure the sub is plugged in and turned on.. i know that sounds stupid but its eomthing we all overlook.. i'm assuming you would have tripple checked connections by now. Turn the sub switch at the back to "always on" just in case. Now you should have a gren led light on the front of your sub. Check that as well. If there is not green led than most definitely you have a defective sub. The other thing i would check for is that the subwoofer is set to "yes" on your receiver. If that is the case, then again, most probably you have a defective sub. I hope you get it working. And I hope you don't get the 12. I bought the pw2200 from paradigm before i got the ksw-15. Most people will tell you the pw2200 is the better sub. It all depends on your tastes really... I found the pw2200 to be a bit slow at dance music such as techno and trance. Also, it didnt have nearly the same amount of output as the ksw-15 on the higher bass frequencies. However, the output at very low bass frequencies (20hz) was better than the ksw-15... but not by a whole lot. So I sacrificed some output and low frequency extension of the pw2200 for a quicker and punchier bass of the ksw-15. I am very happy with my sub now. If however you dont listen to fast music and don't care for punchiness at the higher bass frequencies (30+ hz)then get the pw2200..it's a great sub for the price. (The ksw-15 I bought was more by 20 dollars)But if you live in the states, the pw2200 will be a lot more than the ksw-15. Don't get the ksw-12, because it wont be faster by much if any at all then the 15. And with the 15 you get more output and lower extension.

-UP

------------------

I love you Aki Ross!

quote:

Originally posted by Underhanded Penguin:

Make sure the sub is plugged in and turned on.. i know that sounds stupid but its eomthing we all overlook.. i'm assuming you would have tripple checked connections by now. Turn the sub switch at the back to "always on" just in case. Now you should have a gren led light on the front of your sub. Check that as well. If there is not green led than most definitely you have a defective sub. The other thing i would check for is that the subwoofer is set to "yes" on your receiver. If that is the case, then again, most probably you have a defective sub.

The green LED is on all right, and the inputs seem to be OK -- the subwoofer output from the receiver is split and fed into the L/R RCA jacks. I tried connecting the subwoofer output to the LFE in also, but that didn't help either. Also, the output volume on the sub is cranked up...

Atul

I was thinking the same thing as VideoGUY--I couldn't figure out why my center channel wasn't working until I got into my receiver menus and turned it on. I have an RX-V1000, and I believe that for the sub the choices are Subwoofer Off (LFE sent to mains), Both (LFE sent to both mains and sub), and On (all LFE sent to sub). Also, I'm under the impression that the RX-V1000 doesn't send signals via the LFE output when in 2-channel stereo mode--so you might want to make sure that you have a sound processing mode on. Don't know if this is the same for the new model.

Hope this helps. I'm a sub newbie myself.

quote:

Originally posted by raneman:

I was thinking the same thing as VideoGUY--I couldn't figure out why my center channel wasn't working until I got into my receiver menus and turned it on. I have an RX-V1000, and I believe that for the sub the choices are Subwoofer Off (LFE sent to mains), Both (LFE sent to both mains and sub), and On (all LFE sent to sub). Also, I'm under the impression that the RX-V1000 doesn't send signals via the LFE output when in 2-channel stereo mode--so you might want to make sure that you have a sound processing mode on. Don't know if this is the same for the new model.

Hope this helps. I'm a sub newbie myself.

Thanks to everyone who responded -- it was a problem w/ a loose speaker lead and has been rectified -- see my other thread for details...

Atul