ALK Trachorn and Electro-Voice SM-120 horn: who have compared them?

lorcoll

Just install it so that the mouth is flush with the front of the

khorn...ideally you want it as far back as possible, but you also don't

want to introduce nasty diffraction/reflection effects by having the

driver too far back and letting the sound bounce off the top of the

khorn.

I use the K55-M with the AK-3 (I have the K55-V too, but I ever have preferred the M, but now even the V sounds very good with the SM-120).

I don't use any EQ and the sound seems far better than the K400 or the proviously 511B (perhaps a bit hotter but I use it only from one day).

The sound seems to float in the air and less focused in the center, but it has the same beautilul midrange and is more rich in the lower mid (and no harsh), I can sound more loud now with the SM120.

I have noticed that not many people have tried this horn with the Khorn, it's interesting the opinions of other users.

Is the EQ absolutely necessary with this horn or can I stay without it?

I have never tried the composite K401, is it better than others?

Lorenzo.

Lorenzo,

trust your ears. As you like the sound of the new horn in your current setup, don't worry about using an EQ. As I wrote to you before: I believe the EV horn turns the Khorn from a very good dynamic speaker into an elegant speaker that cannot be accused of 'shouting' anymore. Now some might see that as a loss, but to my ears the vanishing act the speaker performs now a lot more easily (and Lorenzo's description above is what I would have written myself) is worth giving this horn a shot. For me there is no going back - not even to the Cobreflex.

Wolfram

The sound seems to float in the air and less focused in the center, ...

Lorenzo and Wolfram,

How is the sounstage? Can you easily pinpoint the location of the

singer and the instruments? With my stock Khorns it sometimes sounds like the piano stretches

from one speaker to the other!

Kudret

Kudret,

as Lorenzo indicated above: music seems to float in front of the speakers a lot more easily (thus they perform a pretty good vanishing act) and to my ears those horns 'create' a very believable front-back perspective.

When it comes to the size of particular instruments I am not sure if this has more to do with the recording itself (placement of mic/ recording venue etc.) or the gear used in reproduction.

Plus remember the size of an actual piano. Imagine this between your speakers and - obviously depending on how far apart your speakers are - you might be surprised how wide this instrument actually is in real life - and of course so-called concert pianos can be pretty huge [:D].

I am not sure if the above helps at all: but to my ears this horn has simply done it for me in terms of tone and soundstage - and for me those two parameter are right at the top of qualities I am looking for, I guess (taking the speed and clarity of Khorns for granted by now [<:o)]).

Wolfram

Tony,

the better question would be which amp comes next...[:P]. But seriously speaking: for the time being I simply cannot afford adding more amps and I actually was on the verge of parting with some gear. Fortunately I didn't because looking at local prices, I'd never be able again to afford what I have collected.

Believe it or not but today I was told that somebody bought a pair of MC-30s for more than $3K. Now, I really love those amps, but I am not sure if I'd spent such a sum on them. Thus I consider all of my amps as keepers....and for the time being (and my limited budget) my interest has moved from getting some more amps to optimizing my vinyl setup......a journey which begins to show its fruits quite nicely (but that's a different story).

Wolfram

Lorenzo,

excuse my late answer to your above mentioned question about the right distance of the SM120's horn mouth to the basshorn's front. I've been reading your threat the first time. I'm here not very often.

When I installed first my SM120 horns, I placed the horn's mouth that it finished with the front panel of the bass bin. After a while listening i noticed that the kickdrum came twice - one kick out of the bass and one out of the mid horn. So i moved the mid horn back until I heard the kickdrum at the same time out of both speakers. The mid horn's mouth is now 5 cm behind the front panel.