When did Klipsch go post Heritage?

pauln

KHorn in the 40's

Heresy in the 50's

Then Cornwall

LaScala in the early 60's

And Belle

So it seems like for a decade or two after that, Heritage was it. So when did all the other models spring out? Just wondering because it is a little alarming to review the zillions of products now, and especially how many have made it into the discontinued files. What would have happened if Klipsch had stuck to the Heritage only? Was it a survival thing?

What would have happened if Klipsch had stuck to the Heritage only? Was it a survival thing?

Well they've always made heritage during that time...

If I understand correctly, their bread and butter is the pro cinema lineup and the synergy/promedia speakers...

I'm with Duke as far as home gear goes. The Chorus, Forte and Quartet were released in 89 I believe. The Chorus II/Forte II started in 91 or 92 (don't quote me), and then the CF series started in 94 (again, don't quote me), which were eventually replaced with the KLF's I think.

I'm not sure when the Reference series started.

Mike

Since the numbers are so readily available in the discontinued products area...

Cornwall: 1959-1985

Cornwall II: 1985-1990

Forte: 1985-1989

Forte II: 1989-1996

KG: 1985-1992

Chorus: 1987-1990

Chorus II: 1990-1996

CF: 1994-1996

KT: 1994-1997

KLF: 1996-2001

KSP: 1997-1999

You can get the rest of the basic idea here:

http://www.klipsch.com/product/list.aspx?line=1263&type=1265

I found this page which had some interesteing facts:

http://www.audiocircuit.com/A-HTML/AA-Structure-STR/Content-CON/905-STR-CON_Brand___-A01.php?Code=KLP&Circuitcode=907

Significant Events

1940 Paul Klipsch develops his first experimental corner woofer (X-1), a prototype of the Klipschorn.

1942 X-3 is born. 1945 - Klipschorn patent is granted on X-3.

1946 PWK develops midrange horn to match X-3 woofer.

1948 Acquires his first factory building - now the museum.

1949 Klipsch Rebel and Klipsch turntable introduced.

1956 Klipsch Shorthorn introduced.

1957 A new Klipsch speaker, the Klipsch Heresy, is developed. For this speaker, corner placement is not mandatory.

1959 Klipsch Cornwall introduced.

1963 Klipsch La Scala loudspeaker is designed to be used in the P.A. system for Winthrop Rockerfeller's gubernatorial race.

1971 The Belle Klipsch, a more elegant version of the Klipsch La Scala, goes into production.

1977 Klipsch & Associates introduces its industrial line.

1978 Paul Klipsch awarded AES Silver Medal.

1979 Started construction of new test laboratory featuring an anechoic chamber.

1980 One-of-a-kind anechoic chamber built with a 4-quadrant revolving door to permit testing of corner-type speakers.

1982 Klipsch Kg2 introduced.

1984 Paul Klipsch inducted into the Audio Hall of Fame.

1985 Klipsch Kg4 introduced. Klipsch Forte introduced.

1987 Klipsch Chorus introduced.

1989 Fred Klipsch (a cousin) and his wife Judy Klipsch, purchase company from Paul Klipsch. Klipsch Quartet introduced.

1990 Klipsch Kg1 and Kg3 introduced.

1991 Klipsch Kg sw introduced.

1992 Klipsch Kg1.2, Kg2.2, Kg3.2, Kg4.2, Kg5.2 introduced. IW 100 & IW 200 in-wall speakers introduced.

1993 Powered Subwoofer line introduced. New Mexico State University dedicates the Klipsch Lecture Hall.

Center Channel line introduced.

1994 Klipsch Kg.5, Kg1.5, Kg2.5, Kg3.5, Kg4.5, Kg5.5 introduced. Klipsch THX introduced. epic series introduced.

1995 Klipsch IW50, IW150, IW250 introduced. New Mexico State University dedicates the Klipsch Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering.

1996 Klipsch KV4, Klipsch Rebel VIII introduced. Klipsch, purchases Pyle Manufacturing. Klipsch introduces IC525, IC650, IC800 in-ceiling speakers. Klipsch Synergy series subwoofers introduced. Klipsch Legend KLF20, KLF30 introduced.

1997 Klipsch Synergy Monitor and Tower lines introduced. Introduction of voice-matched center and surround speakers completes Klipsch Synergy and Klipsch Legend families. Klipsch introduces Premiere powered speakers which include internally amplified subwoofers. Paul Klipsch inducted into the Engineering and Science Hall of Fame for his contributions in acoustics, ballistics and geophysics. Klipsch retains rights to Klipsch Professional name and begins manufacturing and marketing professional sound reinforcement and theater products.

1998 Klipsch introduces the most compact home theater in its history-the Quintet Micro Theater.

Mike

What would have happened if Klipsch would have stuck to Heritage only?

You had the answer, they would have gone under, it was survival. Look

at the generic designs of todays speakers. Tall, thin with multiple

drivers or small cubes on stands. Much of this forced on designers for

HT applications and space issues. Like any other successful, consumer

driven company , they had to adapt. Looks like it worked.