Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Feb. 13

thebes

Well I had collected up a number of suggestions from these threads and

was looking forward to visiting my local record store yesterday, but a

foot of snow ut paid to that. Oh well, hopefully this

weekend. I don't know about the rest of you but I do make

purchases based on your suggestions and continute to find this a very

usefull vehicle to discover some new music.

Format's simple: Name of artist or group, name of album, type of

music as best you can (rock, blues etc.), and recording format (cd, lp

etc.)

As usual I'll start it off with:

Belcea Quartet, "Bebussy-Dutilleuz-Ravel", Classical, cd

Quite frankly I am not a huge fan of string quartets, just a little

laid back for me. But I was very presently suprised by this gift

from our own Leok. What was particularly interesting was the

seamless interaction from string-to-string in the Bebussy "Quatro A

Cordes, Op.10. Not only enjoable but it will certaintly show up

any flaws in your system. Thebes recommended.

So what do you have to share this week?

I'll Chime in again this week

Petra--Jekyll and Hyde

Christian influenced Arena Rock

This is Petra's farewell album. After 30+ years in the biz, Bob Hartman and John Schlitt and gang finally hang them up, and they went out with a bang.

For several years fans of the band have begged them to release an album that went back to their rock and roll roots, and this album doesn't disappoint.

Several of their previous albums were very oriented to getting airplay on some conservative radio stations, thus watering down the product. Not so with this one. I was very impressed.

Here's a rare one which I have on the turntable right now:

David Matthews

Dune

Jazz/funk

CTI LP 7-5005

Side A is inspired by the Frank Herbert novel Dune, and the funk Sandworms cut is frequently sampled by hiphop groups.

Side B has some strange scifi covers-- Space Oddity, Silent Running, Leia's Theme and title theme from Star Wars.

Quite a powerhouse group of performers on this one, including Grover Washington Jr., David Sanborn, Googie Coppola, Cliff Carter, Hiram Bullock and Eric Gale.

Let's try another classic for this week;

The BAND; Rock of Ages; recorded on New Years Eve '72, in NYC.
Wow, horn section, and all. This klipsch-heads is one of the greatest of all-time bands ever assembled. This is a romp through a set of songs just waiting to take off. Great guitar, tight rythmn section, keyboards, and a great horn section that just adds to the overall feel of these great songs. Any band would be thrilled to have two lead vocals, these guys have three. Rich Manuel, Rick Danko, and one of my favorites, drummer Levon Helm, WOW. They at times interconnect like no other band has, all three singing leads on the same song.This really is a powerful set, a joy for the ears. They are better known probably for the Last Waltz, but I feel this is just as good. Any rock collection would be Incomplete without either of these two, althought the Last Waltz is available on Dvd, Rock of Ages is not. It is a GREAT cd!!

I'll Chime in again this week

Petra--Jekyll and Hyde

Christian influenced Arena Rock

This is Petra's farewell album. After 30+ years in the biz, Bob Hartman and John Schlitt and gang finally hang them up, and they went out with a bang.

For several years fans of the band have begged them to release an album that went back to their rock and roll roots, and this album doesn't disappoint.

Several of their previous albums were very oriented to getting airplay on some conservative radio stations, thus watering down the product. Not so with this one. I was very impressed.

Fletcher.... Jekyll and Hyde is an outstanding album, however... it is not the farewell album. It is the last studio effort they will release, but "Farewell" is their farewell album. :) not to split hairs or anything... just informing you that they have put out one last Live album, where they performed for friends & family.

post-13769-13819281745918_thumb.jpg

lol... hey that's what we're here for :)

I don't understand why they are cashing it in? I suppose they may be getting a bit up there in age... but man, I was hoping to see them in concert yet. The only time I saw their show was back in the mid to early 80's! Kind of bummed.

Actually, most of the band cashed it in awhile ago. The only two long standing members left were John Schlitt (I suspect we'll see some solo projects from him in the future...what a set of pipes!) and Bob Hartman.

The rest of the guys that have played along on the last couple of projects are just Nashville guys that they could recruit to tour and record.

Jekyll and Hyde features guys from the band "Newsboys", and was produced, I believe, by Newsboys frontman Peter Furhler. It was at his request that they (John and Bob) do one more "old school" studio project.

O well, all good things come to an end. By the way, did some of the old band members come back for that "Farewell" Live album? I'd love to hear Greg X Volz do some remakes of his classic Petra leads.

Greg X Voltz is listed as a special appearence only on the acoustic set and "Grave Robber"

John Lawry is also listed as an Special appearence on "Grave Robber" & "Beyond Belief"

The actual band is listed as:

Bob & John, and Greg Bailey, and Paul Simmons.

I think my favorite Petra album was "Captured in Time & Space" For some reason, that gets the most play out of my collection.