$600 subwoofer recommendation

fanbrain

Here's my story. I found a set of KSF- 10.5 at a pawn shop for $70. One of the 8" drivers were missing, and I found a new one for $30. No problem. I have the KSF- C5 on order to complete the front speaker setup. Now it's time to find a subwoofer to match the rest. (BTW my receiver is a Harman/Kardon AVR 135.)

The system is mostly used for movies, and occasionally for music. I listen to jazz, classical piano (Vladimir Horowitz is the man) and organ music; and not the small tracker organ stuff. I'm talking ranks of 32' and 64' pipes etc.

I know I have a small budget, but I want to know what would be the best fit. I've been lurking around these forums for a while, and this is my first foray into the real HT experience. I've had a crappy 1990's Sony system with a floppy sub and underpowered everything and now I have a great set KSF series speakers a great receiver (remember this is my humble beginning), and now I want a sub to match.

Physical size does not matter, nor color. Right now i'm not partial to any brand. I've heard good things about the SVS line but really any brand will do if it fits the bill.

There is a lot of good advice around here and I'm looking forward to reading it.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome aborad,

First if you like to listen to pipe organ music forget the Titanic kit in the sealed box,its piss poor below 25Hz and of little use on true deep bass.And the Klipsch Sub12,again of little use below 25Hz and for pipe organ reproduction you need a real 16Hz capabilities.This is sustained 16Hz output at a SPL that will be of use,not just noticed.

Here the SVS comes in. The standard single driver cylinder or box subs retail around $600 and the ISD10 bo0x sub below $500.Also alot more capable than the PartExpress kits.

remember Parts Express carries kits great for Mr HT,where boom boom and loudness around 30-40Hz does it.here you need where these kits fail...down to 16Hz.

Klipsch Sub-12 if you wanna go new...I think they're going for $450 at Best Buy actually (normally much more).

If you went DIY with a titanic subwoofer, then I would recommend building a ported enclosure instead of going with the kit.

Yeah, I just picked one up for 450, and it is absolutely mind blowing. I just finalized my crossover and gain settings, popped in Lord of the Rings (Fellowship of the Ring) in DTS and I seriously feel like I have a brand new system in my house. Best money I've spent in a long time. My SW12II has retired and accepts the defeat.

Not that I know of,send the guys an email.They have fast service.

Please not I am a Klipsch fan above allbut when you ask clearly a sub capable of reproducing pipe organ music the SUB10/12,or even the RSW15 is NOT up to the task.One Klipsch sub capable of this feat would be the THX line but considering the budget,SVS is a clear winner.End of it

Fanbrain,

No the SVS will not be too much,it will be PERFECT.Why,simple. I will ahve all the headroom,it will work well within its output capabilities never straining,loafing most of the time. Second it will reach deep,as deep as any serious subs should.And you will have a solid foundation.

This said you can always reduce the gain on the sub and in the menu of the receiver.It will only overpower and drown when improperly set up.As setting up a single sub is easy.

Zealot,

I cannot recomend what I have not tested or at least heard a few times.And since this is not a DIY forum I will not push any kits or project subs.Most have no time or desire to start tooling or using glue.

I know very well the best value is in DIY.A no brainer for cost VS performance

And lets just say,

being an owner of an SVS (Pc-ultra) and now a owner of the klipsch (rsw-15), I am impressed with both.

Svs knows the low end but its 40hz+ is nothing to write home about. Its one of those deceptions: that SVS subs are good all around...musically, even the TV-12 driver, is not up to par with the rsw-15, the velodyne subs or even the martin logans, to name a few.

Another problem with SVS: Positioning! What a pain...I know subs are very sensitive on positioning but SVS subs are just disgustingly painful. The downfiring design really doesnt help. (Maybe with my RSW, I just got lucky...haha.) or maybe it was the tube design...
Ill have to try out a pb2 ultra and check it out.

We know for a fact that you have not tested any of the SVS subs, so whats that about?

You know for a fact! Do you even know what FACT means,look it up.

I never purchased any SVS,I borrowed two of the older Ultra passive tube subs and used them with my carver TFM75. So your "fact" is only your little opinion.

And I had at home many subs I borrowed and returned to test,so your facts are only valid in your mind.

Now do you ahve anything of value to add?

Exactly my point,

Mr. "never recommend anything you havent heard"

You are recommending an SVS model you never heard, much less own!

Whose got nothing to add now?

By the way, It doesnt matter what you own...because I was not referring to anything you own. Stop thinking we all want to touch your e-penis because you have 18+subs. Get over yourself.

And lets just say,

being an owner of an SVS (Pc-ultra) and now a owner of the klipsch (rsw-15), I am impressed with both.

Svs knows the low end but its 40hz+ is nothing to write home about. Its one of those deceptions: that SVS subs are good all around...musically, even the TV-12 driver, is not up to par with the rsw-15, the velodyne subs or even the martin logans, to name a few.

Another problem with SVS: Positioning! What a pain...I know subs are very sensitive on positioning but SVS subs are just disgustingly painful. The downfiring design really doesnt help. (Maybe with my RSW, I just got lucky...haha.) or maybe it was the tube design...

Ill have to try out a pb2 ultra and check it out.

40Hz plus is nothing two write home about! Too funny,you must like your bass colored then. You are simply not used to a flatter response,fine your taste.

SVS hard to position! Hardly ,like with any sub of any shape(shape has nothing to do,the tube design is fine BTW)a good spot will be a GOOD spot for any sub.RSW15,DD18,Ultra...even your Rat Shack super woofer with pink LED's!

Every room is different,

your generalizations are pointless.

I had a hard time positioning my SVS sub and I tried at least 6 different locations. The current owner of the SVS, is very very very happy with it. There are no laws (not even in Canada) that say I cannot express my personal experiences.

Not all material is sub-40hz. There is a lot of classical, rock etc.... material that is crucial between 40-80hz...most of it! I dont care if my sub can go down to 1hz, if it cant play that crucial octave...screw that.